Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    The only people I've shared my favourite names with are my husband and my mum. My husband occasionally wrinkles his nose at some of my suggestions, but hasn't outright bagged any of them. My mum looked at my long list, but the only name she really had issue with was Magnolia - "Please don't name your baby Magnolia! Although, if you do, I'll still love it." At least that's something!

Sometimes I don't think people realise when you mention a name that it's truly one of your favourites and they're ruining it by bagging it out! Also, this is why the only people I've shared my favourite names with are my husband and my mum!
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Quote Originally Posted by nat108 View Post
    ITA I think if you're that shakeable then you really need to reevaluate your choice. It could be that you really love it but possibly the name is too weird/too cool/too girly/too ... for who you are.

My mom hates Tallulah and Honora/Nora. Her exact words were: Tallulah- "please don't do that to a child" and Honora/Nora- "ugh!". I reevaluated. I really only liked Honora/Nora to get to the nn Nor. I loved Noor but didn't think it was "acceptable". When I told Mom she loved it because it sounds like me. I reevaluated Tallulah and realized that it is pretty frilly and doesn't quite fit my personality but I still plan to use it. Mom still hates it but she knows that I'm firm on this one. We just joked about Tallulah when I saw her last weekend
    THIS. Yes. I'm all for keeping a name mostly under wraps until after the baby comes, but it should be shared with someone. You don't need commentary from everyone on Facebook, but feedback from some people can be a really good thing. Love is blind, names are no exception, and bouncing the name off of someone else can be incredibly helpful in this regard. Just find someone who can give you negative feedback without being overbearing. I recently bounced a name off my sister that has some silent letters in it, and she reminded me that I hated the silent letters in my name growing up. I love them now, but from kindergarten until I was in middle school, I hated it, and I was mildly bitter and snappish about it through most of high school. I'm glad she caught that. With her, it's rhyming nicknames- she can't stand them, so it's my job to catch those. And if none of your family members or friends would be helpful... well, that's what Nameberry is here for, right?

Also, when it comes to making peace with family members who don't like your name, you have to factor in how big of a deal it's going to be after birth. If your relative who dislikes the name says they will refuse to use it, and as a previous poster mentioned, pressure everyone else in the family follows suit, how much do they actually mean it? And how hard will that be on your child? It wouldn't be an issue in some families... I'm pretty sure my father's mother wasn't crazy about my name, but nobody on that side of the family gets called by their given name, anyway. I found out that my Auntie Lou was actually my Aunt Patricia when I was sixteen, and I can't remember what my grandmother's real name is without looking in my address book. So getting called something different was actually a family tradition that I've always been happy to be a part of.

On the other side... well, my mother's parents haven't really been crazy about some of the names she and my father chose, either. They never mentioned anything to me, but they were always very eager to use any nicknames that came up. I took it in stride, and I treasure some of the nicknames I was given. My sister, not so much. It's actually driven a wedge between her and some of those family members... partly caused by the fact that my parents fought it a little more with her name, so her (rhyme-based)nicknames felt less natural to her, and as such, she felt more left-out. So I would say that if you plan on having those family members be a fairly regular part of your life, be proactive. Come up with a suitable nickname- something sweet that can be your child's special name that their family uses. If it's going to happen no matter what, you lose more by fighting it than you'd gain.

Saskia is really pretty..... Stick to your guns... They will love the baby..

Quote Originally Posted by nat108 View Post
    My mom hates Tallulah and Honora/Nora. Her exact words were: Tallulah- "please don't do that to a child" and Honora/Nora- "ugh!". I reevaluated. I really only liked Honora/Nora to get to the nn Nor. I loved Noor but didn't think it was "acceptable". When I told Mom she loved it because it sounds like me. I reevaluated Tallulah and realized that it is pretty frilly and doesn't quite fit my personality but I still plan to use it. Mom still hates it but she knows that I'm firm on this one. We just joked about Tallulah when I saw her last weekend
    Eleanor/Leonor are good names for nn Nor
    (I love that nickname!)
    Last edited by joana; March 17th, 2013 at 10:41 AM.

Me and a group of friends were talking about baby names although none of us are planning on having children any time soon and I mentioned the name Lottie. The majority of them decided that it was a childish name wouldn't suit an adult as it sounds too nicknamey! I still plan on using it though as OH loves it almost as much as I do.
    Current favourites:
    Girls:Amelie, Isobel, Ruby and Imogen.
    Boys: Reuben, Joel, Caleb and Tobias.