Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

*Ouch* Horrible reactions to your favorite name?

Ugh. I knew it was a mistake to tell my sister-in-law our favorite girl name (Saskia Jane). Yesterday she told my mother-in-law that if we have another little girl her name will be Saskia. My MIL made a grossed out look and said "Dear Lord I hope you never have another girl, that's horrible! I can't even say it!" I told her to get ready because this baby boy is going to have a cross cultural name as well (we're pretty set on Dimitri but his name is a secret) because I love exotic names! She went on and on about how awful it would be to give our kids weird names and she hopes this baby boy has a "normal" name.

Have any of you ever used a name that had horrible reactions from loved ones before your baby came? Did they end up liking the name after baby was born and named? Or do they still hate it?
    Mommy to {Éva Natalia} & {Dimitri David} ...now designing a {name} for our next darling...

{ L a d i e s } Saskia : Calypso : Anouk : Sabine : Azélie : Gia : Indie : Sparrow : Chiara : Sapphira : Oceane : Cosette : Apollina : Yara : Baye :
    { G e n t s } Luca : Anders : Koa : Élan : Amadeo : Oliver : River : Alexei : Maksim : Aeneas : Wolfgang : Sebastien : Alessio : Croix

Ummm, yes! Most of my choices and our name we picked!
    It was awful at first, but they stopped when I told them they already had a chance of naming a kid, and I wasn't super impressed by their choices.

Now, they are used to it and just don't say anything. Use what you want!
    *Magnolia Alice/ Evangeline Clover/ Adelaide Clover/ Athena Violet/
    Liliana Wren/ Georgiana Snow/ Eugenie Marigold/Ottilie Amina*

*Osias Grey/August Grey/Thatcher Fox/ Ignatius Grey/Hawthorne Flynn/
    Jasper August/ *

Quote Originally Posted by goodkarmavt View Post
    they stopped when I told them they already had a chance of naming a kid, and I wasn't super impressed by their choices.
    lol , that's awesome! perfect response
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

I'm not even near the proper age to have kids, so I can't address that. But I will tell you that when I have told a friend/family member or two about a name I like some have given me some bad reactions.
    Or, some have disapprove because we have met someone before with that name (Asa and "Rosie") and it would only remind them of that individual.

But I wouldn't let it get to you! Its your baby and you have the right to name it anything you want.
    Teenberry. INFP. Ravenclaw. Passions: art, theatre, music, psychology, yoga, naming, and reading.
    (Changing my name to Zoie Willow.)

For a future...
    Ever-so Darling Daughter:
    Opal Eleanor ~ Lavender Elaine ~ Harmony Ophelia Maude ~ Poet Aurelia Charlotte ~ India River 'Indie'

Splendid Son:
    Sebastian River - River William Henry - Bodhi James - Hugo Timothy Cole - Apollo Jack

My goodness yes. My family are straight-laced WASPs who can barely pronounce Antoine. They told me frankly it sounded like a limp-wristed hairdresser. My grandmother, who really is one of the world's loveliest people, calls the baby Andy and told me Antoine Raphael sounded 'foreign.' yet she loves him dearly, of course.

She is 93 so it's much easier to think of her as a product of a significantly less global age. She's called Mary Elizabeth and named my mother a family surname, as is done in the South. My parents enjoy being close-minded when it suits them.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq