Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    FWIW my own mother begged me not to use the name she knew I had my heart set on for my second son...she had ALWAYS been down on it (I never should have shared it with her!) but I used it anyway. Lots of people don't like it, and she still doesn't, but she loves him and I can't see him as having many other names, it suits him very well! We have survived. And my second daughter has a foreign/unpronounceable name that has weathered the family-opinions-storm quite well...I did manage to keep that one under wraps until she arrived. I am happy I went with my gut for both names as I love them and would have been sad to be dissuaded by others' opinions (which I know can happen easily). I think though there is some merit in examining a name if you find you are easily dissuaded, then maybe it's not "worth fighting for," iykwim.

Take heart, and stay strong in your convictions if you love something!
    Last edited by katzenjammers; March 16th, 2013 at 04:07 PM.

I've never understood why some people feel the need to be so terribly rude about what someone else names their children. For whatever reason baby names are generally a "no rules apply" topic and some people think it's appropriate to give their opinion with absolutely no regard for the feelings of the parents-to-be. Even if someone I knew told me they were going to name their child MckJaidynn Izaiyah I would at least leave the room before groaning in agony, and I certainly wouldn't tell that someone "Dear Lord I hope you never have a boy, that's horrible!" Sheesh.

This is exactly why I don't plan on revealing names early when I do have children. If I got such a rude response from my mother-in-law I don't know that pregnant me would be able to hold my tongue.
    Last edited by southern.maple; March 16th, 2013 at 04:18 PM.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    History student, name nerd, and general geek.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

my sentiments exactly
    -an Amelia from a time before 'Amelia' was in the top 100.

Currently feeling:*Roseanne Amelia* or *Kamal Clifford*

Girls: Rose, Juliet, Roseanne
    Boys: Beres, Kamal

TTC Fall 2013!

I just had this happen today. I threw a baby shower for a friend and we wrote out all their possible names on a chalkboard at my house. One of the names is Hazel, which my husband and I have on our short list as well. My mother came over today and read the names and shrieked, "Hazel! I know older names are coming back, but really!?" I just responded by telling her that my husband and I really like that name. She said she was sorry, but looked so disappointed. It was a complete accident on her part, but it still made me a little sad to know she hated the name.

I'm way too young to have kids, so I can't talk about that park.

Me, to a friend: "I love Melinda!"
    Friend: "What? Absolutely awful! Promise me you never name your daughter that way! PROMISE ME!"
    I take that promise a lit bit more seriously than I should. I still love Melinda, but I don't think about naming my child that way She ruined the name for me!

When we're discussing names, with other girl friends:
    Me: "I love Alma!"
    Friend: "You've been watching too much "Física o Química" [spanish teenage TV series; one of the characters is named Alma]!"
    But I understand that: Alma is a EXTREMELY rare name in Portugal (since its approval in 2011, it has been used only 6 times in about 190.000 babies), whilst in Spain is relatively popular.

For reactions as the shown above, I prefer not to talk about my name crushes. I'll handle that when I have kids and that's it :P