Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Names that are "too cool" for you

Hi all! So I'm not pregnant nor am I even at that point in life yet, but my boyfriend and I did start discussing names we may use in the future (a huge step for a name enthusiast like me!) and I've come to a conclusion....I'm not "cool" enough for most of the names I love!

Have any of you ever felt like this?

For example, for girls I love the names Lux, Cordelia, Juniper, Echo, Juno, Minerva, Temperance, India, Niamh, Cairo, Zara, etc. etc. But ask any of my friends what they picture me having for a daughter and almost every single one says Charlotte. Now Charlotte's beautiful...but it ain't Cordelia!

And it's the same story with boys, as well. I love Augustine, Hugo, Soren, Bodhi, Everett, Thatcher, Faolan, Lucan, Orion, Oisin, Dexter, Felix, Gideon, Blaise, etc. But again, ask my friends and they'll say Jack or Henry.

Tell me I'm not the only one who likes names that are "too cool"?
    Happy I'm in love with my best friend...

*Cordelia Hazel* *Temperance Lark* *Juniper Daphne* *India Pearl*
    *Alexander Rhys* *Calder Solomon* *Micah Samuel* *Everett Blaise*

I kind of know what you mean! I tend to avoid Z names, because they don't feel like "me." Zoya is in my top ten favorites for girls, but nobody would expect me to have a Zoya, and I don't know if I'd expect myself to have a Zoya.

Same with Mazarine. It feels a bit too cultured for me and my little small-town, backwoods lifestyle.

When I was little, there were some names that I considered "too pretty" for myself, most notably Isabella and Alyssa. They felt to me like they belonged to wealthy little girls who wore lacy white dresses and had their own ponies. No idea where I got that notion from!

The names on your list are seen quite a bit here on Nameberry so I wouldn't consider them "too cool". I like Juniper and Niamh for girls and Augustine, Felix, Orion and Hugo for boys. Here are some names that I consider "too cool" (aka "trying too hard"). Personally, I wouldn't use them but some parents do like them.

Maverick
    Legend
    Maximus
    Chance
    Strider
    Magnum
    Steele
    Gunner
    Trace
    Slade
    Gage
    Colt
    Squire
    Stetson
    Hannibal
    Ace
    Messiah
    Talon
    Canyon
    Ryder
    Fox
    Cannon
    Banjo
    Aragorn
    Ryker
    Jupiter
    Arrow
    Atlas
    Ajax
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I'm the opposite of you, people expect cool, out-there names from me. My mom was utterly shocked when I told her a loved Charlotte and Henry.

There aren't any names that are too cool for me but names that I know are too much. If I were a celeb or a billionaire and I knew my kids wouldn't be stereotyped or have their resumes thrown in the trash because of their names, I'd use
    Boy: Maui, Bamboo, Windsor
    Girl: Fox

Fox * Shea * Jade * Azure * Eden * Greer * Blaise
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Linden * Arden

There are some names I think people definitely wouldn't expect from me on my list. Most of my guilty pleasure names are deemed as such because they either don't fit an adult or sound like they are trying too hard, especially since my boyfriend and myself have fairly normal names. I think if I had a more unusual name I wouldn't worry as much about it. The biggest two names on my gp list for too cool factor would be Indigo for a boy and Xanthe for a girl.
    A few of my own favorite names that I don't worry about being too cool which you listed are there! Like Thatcher, which I love despite it being an occupational last name.