Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: What 2 surnames do you like best for Jimmy?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beaudry

3 11.11%
  • Buchanan

12 44.44%
  • Ladd

3 11.11%
  • Langston

8 29.63%
  • Riggins

10 37.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help Name the Sexy Cowboy..... POLL

I'm setting up this poll to see if any of my favorites stand out to anyone. I have already have a post going for this character.....I'm trying to find a surname.

Copied from the other discussion: (http://nameberry.com/nametalk/thread...he-Sexy-Cowboy)

Jimmy is in his late 30's. He is tall and has a solid, athletic build. He's a very handsome red-head with blue eyes and lots of feckles. He's the outdoor type. He loves nature, fishing, hunting, the sun, moon, and stars. He's an extrovert with a very deep voice but at the same time he speaks quiet and likes quiet time. He had a good childhood, and was well-liked in school. He was a star on the football team but he had a knee injury in his senior year and he had to quit the team. I know what Jimmy's role is in the story, but I haven't decided on what his job is. I do know that he will be in law inforcement or some sort, police, game warden....something like that. Jimmy has a killer smile, he laughes and jokes around a lot. He's a gentleman, he well-mannered, but he does have a temper an it comes out when someone lies to him or someone he loves is hurt. Jimmy lives with his on-again-off-again girlfriend. I haven't named her yet, but I'm thinking of going with Hillary. Jimmy is also in love with a girl he's known his whole life, his best friend, Annie. Annie doesn't know that Jimmy is in love with her. Jimmy has never said anything. He is afraid it will mess up their friendship, plus Annie has a boyfriend, and Jimmy respects that. In addition, he loves 'Hillary' too and doesn't want to hurt her. He knows that if he can never be with Annie, he could be content and happy with Hillary.

Here are the surnames I like best.

Beaudry - The name I've been using. It might be a bit soft? This is another surname from my family. It's another you don't see everyday.
    Buchanan - It sounds good with Jimmy. It works with James too which is Jimmy's birth name.
    Ladd - It's my deceased grandmother's maiden name (she wouldn't mind if I use it). She was a strong women as were her brothers. It's not a surname you hear everyday.
    Langston - I got this off of the t.v.. My hubby was watching WWE wrestling and one of the wrestler's last names.
    Riggins - It has a rugged feeling to it, but at the same time it sounds fun. Jimmy is a fun/funny guy.

On the poll please vote for the two you like best. And if you could tell me why you picked the ones you did, that would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Last edited by crissy76; March 16th, 2013 at 10:06 PM.
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-

I don't have any children, but I write like crazy and am always looking for names for characters. I think I'm a half decent story teller, a mediocre writer, but horrible at picking names.

Favorites: Ainsley, Everly, Shay, Bryce, Michaela, Bree, Susannah, Jensen, Damien, Anson, James, Dalton, Sawyer, Alaric

Buchanan is the only one without problems.

If Jimmy were Jim, Beaudry would be great, but not with the double -y ending.

Ladd is 'lad,' a young boy.

Langston either Langston Hughes or the 'hero' from the Da Vinci Code.

Riggins sounds like a fictional pirate. Rigging, etc. More importantly, Jimmy Riggins has an internal rhyme which makes the name sound silly.

So I vote Buchanan.

However, I'm not sure if you've noticed, but each and every surname you picked is completely English/Scottish in origins. As you've said your story is set in North America, this isn't plausible for your cohort.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

James/Jimmy Buchanan is the only option I like from your list. Since North America is the land of immigrants, I don't see anything wrong with English/Scottish surnames. Buchanan "sounds" like a sexy cowboy surname to me.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Is the rule about double letter endings really that much of a no no?

In regards to the meaning of Ladd and the whole young boy thing, this is a case of myself as the writer needing to make the character the opposite of what the name means or refers to. When the writer of The Vampire Diaries came up with the character Meredith Fell, I doubt very much she was going to make the character trip all the time and fall down, or fall for every guy she is around, etc. Meredith is the complete oposite. Obviously, if I use Ladd for the surname, I'm not going to make Jimmy (a grown man) behave like a young boy.

I had to google Langston Hughes because I had no idea who they are. And, thank you for pointing out Tom Hanks' character on The Da Vinci Code. The characters name was Robert Langdon, but still that is close enough to Langston.

As for Riggins....everyone is entitled to their opinion. Not everyone is going to like a name. Obviously, there are a few people who like it juding by the poll results.

"Since North America is the land of immigrants, I don't see anything wrong with English/Scottish surnames."
    I agree, mischa. I know someone who's name is Natalia (Russian name) and their last name is very Anglo-Saxon. Her mother gave her the name Natalia not because she's Russian but because she liked the name.
    Last edited by crissy76; March 17th, 2013 at 10:27 PM.
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-

I don't have any children, but I write like crazy and am always looking for names for characters. I think I'm a half decent story teller, a mediocre writer, but horrible at picking names.

Favorites: Ainsley, Everly, Shay, Bryce, Michaela, Bree, Susannah, Jensen, Damien, Anson, James, Dalton, Sawyer, Alaric

Quote Originally Posted by crissy76 View Post
    In regards to the meaning of Ladd and the whole young boy thing, this is a case of myself as the writer needing to make the character the opposite of what the name means or refers to. When the writer of The Vampire Diaries came up with the character Meredith Fell, I doubt very much she was going to make the character trip all the time and fall down, or fall for every guy she is around, etc. Meredith is the complete opposite. Obviously, if I use Ladd for the surname, I'm not going to make Jimmy (a grown man) behave like a young boy.
    Jimmy Ladd (Jim Lad) in particular makes me think of Treasure Island. It's what Long John Silver nicknames James Hawkins.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!