Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    I think you are looking for short, classic names. Short so they don't get nicknamed and classic because that sounds like your style. I apologize if I steal other people's idea. So far I like from other people's suggestions Bonnie, Blythe, Ivy, Ada, Cora, Iris, Lucy, Laura, Nina and Vera. Ok so now my own ideas: Sibyl, Rose, Deirdre, Eve, Ruth, June, Grace, Hope, Sarah, Cara, Amy, Anne, Ingrid, Irene, Inez, Ellen, Doris, Martha, Carol, Jane, Jill, Jan, Pearl, and Madge. Good Luck!

Celia is pretty nickname proof (Celie?) and it has the same letters a Alice.
    Ivy is a classic, really to short for a nickname.
    Ada is a personal favorite, different pronounciation from Adelaide/Adele.
    Nora short and sweet.
    Lover of names: Classic, Literary, Historical, or whatever strikes my fancy!

Current loves- Ada, Iris, Beata, Minna/James, Milo, Dermot, Ewan

Adele (less likely to be nicknamed but similar to Adelaide, sort of)
    Silvia (LOVE this name -- very classic and beautiful, but already a name in our family, so we can't use it)
    Sylvie (Silvia with a more French feel; similar to Sophie)
    Delia
    Dahlia
    Adelia

Those are just the names that popped into my head, but I'm not very good at this. pps have given you lots of great names to think about. I just wanted to sound off about Adelaide, too -- this is YOUR child, not your parents' child. If you and your husband don't want her called Addie, then tell them you won't be calling her that and you'd prefer if they also didn't call her that. Your family will be the toughest sell regarding the nickname thing. They will feel a special connection and may instinctively want to give her a nickname. But your friends and her teachers will never call her Addie unless they hear it from you first (or unless she decides that's what she wants to go by). Adelaide is a lovely and unique but also classic/vintage name. If you both love it and can't find anything else you love, it would be such a shame to throw it away!

I feel the same way about nn's. I'd rather use full names and we do for our son.

Lily
    Eliza
    Cora
    Lena
    Arianne
    Daphne
    Francine
    Hailey
    Mia
    Quinn
    Stella
    Zea
    Tessa
    Rosie
    Zoey
    Isla

I love many ideas on the thread. How about Clara? Apologies if I skimmed too quickly and did not see that someone else has already proposed it.