Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Which Surname Fits Best?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Luke Shipman

18 38.30%
  • Luke Porter

23 48.94%
  • Luke Grandy

4 8.51%
  • Luke Drabek

2 4.26%
  • Luke Constable

3 6.38%
  • Luke Braddock

13 27.66%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cool I'm down to 6.....

I'm not having good luck posting this thread. LOL I typed up my post, hit submit and ended up losing the entire post. So here I am starting all over again.

I'm down to 6 last names for a character I've been trying to name for months.

His first name is Luke. He's 20-years-old though in the story there are flashbacks to when he was in his late teens. He's tall and athletic. Blonde hair, blue eyes, shy, a straight 'A' student, he tutors other students, he likes to read, and he loves all sports especially basketball and track. He's a super nice kid. He's the guy that picks up the 'nerdy' girls books when she drops them because it's the gentleman thing to do. He lives with his grandpa and has a part-time job working at his grandpa's bait and tackle store. His grandpa is Ray Valentine. His mother is deceased. I haven't named her yet but I'm heading towards Christine or Christina. Luke's father is not in the picture. Luke was a product of teenage 'love'.

Here are the final 6 surnames and why I like them.

Luke Shipman...I think it's different
    Luke Porter...like the meaning
    Luke Grandy...the very first surname I picked for this character. I keep coming back to it.
    Luke Drabek...the 'dra' part feels shy, the 'bek' part feels outgoing
    Luke Constable...it's different and it sounds smart
    Luke Braddock...suggested by a fellow berry....it's growing on me

Please vote for the two names you like best for the character.

Thanks
    Last edited by crissy76; March 14th, 2013 at 03:52 AM.
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-

I don't have any children, but I write like crazy and am always looking for names for characters. I think I'm a half decent story teller, a mediocre writer, but horrible at picking names.

Favorites: Ainsley, Everly, Shay, Bryce, Michaela, Bree, Susannah, Jensen, Damien, Anson, James, Dalton, Sawyer, Alaric

Hi Crissy-- I voted for Shipman and Braddock.

I think you should stay away from common words lest again they make your character look like an allegorical figure. I would see Constable and think, 'oh, this character is a good guy.' Grandy = grand = good, alpha male, grandiose, etc. Porter = a guy who carries things for other people, so helpful (though a bit beta). Drabek is interesting but it sounds a bit like drab + Dalek (from Dr Who), so a slightly boring/villainous air.

Shipman has the word ship and obviously sounds a bit like a sailor, but it's far enough removed from everyday speak that it works. It pairs with Luke quite nicely. And Braddock is great since it reinforces those crisp, strong protagonist consonants. I think I suggested it a while back but I really do like it.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Yes, blade you are the mastermind behind Braddock. Again, thank you for your wise advice. I am a name 'dummie' so every little bit of advice helps. LOL

I agree on what you say about Shipman. It's my favorite of all the names. If you think of the word ship, obviously a physical boat comes to mind. I'm thinking a little outside the box....every boat has a captian...a leader. Luke is a natural leader. He's the type of person people admire and look up too and he still so young. What I also like about the name is the 'man' on the end. My story is a modern apocalypse story and the story revolves around a group of people....all very different individuals. Minus the children, Luke is the youngest of what a person would consider the adults in the group. And, he always stands out in planning and discussions about what the group should do, where they should go, etc. Sometimes he even outsmarts the older people in the group. For example: his grandfather.

I like Braddock for the reason you mentioned, blade. It is a very strong name. It has the hard consonants. Shipman is not so strong, but I think I can pull it off since Luke is a harder, one syllable name.
    Last edited by crissy76; March 14th, 2013 at 05:54 PM.
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-

I don't have any children, but I write like crazy and am always looking for names for characters. I think I'm a half decent story teller, a mediocre writer, but horrible at picking names.

Favorites: Ainsley, Everly, Shay, Bryce, Michaela, Bree, Susannah, Jensen, Damien, Anson, James, Dalton, Sawyer, Alaric

Another thing I have to consider also, is Luke's father. Even though he is not in the picture, Luke's mother (though she wasn't married to him and he left her) still gave her son his father's last name. The father will be mentioned in the story....so the last name I choose has to suit both Luke and his dad. The dad is your typical highschool jock only he's more arrogant then anyone on the planet. That being said, he's also very charming.
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-

I think something vaguely slimy like Neil ('eels') would be great for the dad. Neil Brannock / Neil Shipman.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq