Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Winchester?

I've actually met a guy named Winchester before. It was a family surname for him - his grandmother's maiden name, if I'm remembering correctly - and he wore it surprisingly well. So the name isn't unwearable. That said, the name is very tied to guns. My number one association with Winchester is Supernatural (a positive association for me), but most everyone is going to hear the name Winchester and go straight to guns. It's up to you to decide how much that bothers you (and how much it might bother your son).
    ♂ | Samuel ◊ Edward ◊ George ◊ Arthur ◊ Ezra ◊ Gideon ◊ James ◊ Quentin ◊ Solomon ◊ Jasper
    ♀ | Helen ◊ Cora ◊ Anne ◊ Jane ◊ Caroline ◊ Catherine ◊ Gwen ◊ Georgia ◊ Elizabeth ◊ Lydia

As a die-hard Supernatural fan, I am 100% pro-Winchester! If it weren't such obvious fan service with a sibling named Cas (short for Caspian), Winchester would be on my shortlist ^_^
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Endymion _____ nn Ender ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River _____

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu

I love Winchester! It sounds very posh and sophisticated, yes, but to me that's a good thing. It is surnamey but then again a lot of names are and they've become totally acceptable for the most part. I think I've used it for a character at some point, an upper-class man in a historical fiction-type story. I have no idea at all how it relates to guns though. Just a guess, the average American (or Briton?) knows a fair bit more about guns than the average Canadian? (I've seen threads here where numerous posters mention how the name is strongly associated with guns, and I never get these references)
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

I honestly think it's awful, sorry.

First association = guns. (I'm Australian and have never seen a real gun in my life, I don't think; I know nothing about guns, but have run across 'Winchester' often enough whilst reading, etc, to know that it is one.)

Second association/impression: someone trying very hard to sound posh and 'British boarding-school-ish', and failing.

Quote Originally Posted by bonfireazalea View Post
    Just a guess, the average American (or Briton?) knows a fair bit more about guns than the average Canadian? (I've seen threads here where numerous posters mention how the name is strongly associated with guns, and I never get these references)
    Noooo. Trust me, we've never been a gun toting nation. Like the Australian above me I've never even seen a gun. I know a bit about Colts though because my brother and I watch 'Pawn Stars' and they come up for sale occasionally. I also know bit and bobs from books and tv and - of course - the blunderbuss from 'Super Cluedo Challenge'

Winchester sounds like a place to me. I wouldn't associate it with guns.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!