Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Alliterative Names - Baby Boy

We're struggling to come up with a name for our first child, a boy.

Since I keep going back and worth on this, I'm wondering how everyone feels about alliterative names? My sister has an alliterative name (with her maiden name) - MM, which never sounded bad.

But I'm worried since our surname is an O name, it won't sound right. Our surname is Ostman (rhymes with postman). However, it is frequently pronounced with a short O as well, so name would have to sound right with both pronounciations.

I really like the names Owen and Oliver, but I'm considering throwing them both out because I'm not sure the O sound is a strong enough sound to really sound good with alliteration. Other vowel names on our list are Ian, Ethan and August, but I'm tempted to just avoid vowels all together because I'm not sure that a vowel first and last name are the greatest.

Thoughts?

I think Oliver Ostman is a great sounding names.

Owen Ostman not so much, as both names start and end in the same letters, so the flow isn't as good.

I like alliterative names.
    ♥ Margaret Mary ♥
    19. Name nerd. College sophomore.

~ Eliza Josephine ~ Esther Christabel ~ Harriet Aurelia ~ Mary Jessamine ~ Rose Georgina ~ Sarah Margaret ~
    ~ Asher Benedict ~ Gabriel Walter ~ John Constantine ~ Noah August ~ Reuben Alexander ~ Samuel Ernest ~

I personally do not like alliteration, although Oliver Ostman sounds alright to me. Is it just the sound of Owen and Oliver that you like, or is it the meaning? If it is just (or mainly) the sound, what about:

Rowan
    Logan
    Noah
    ~ Mommy to Callum Rhys and Jack William ~

Girls: Eleanor, Meara, Louisa, Jane, Sylvie, Iris
    Boys: Edmund, Leland, Ridley, Beckett, Samuel, Donal

I love alliteration and don't understand why some people turn their noses up at it. Sure, there are times when alliteration is not so great. But Clark Kent? Peter Pan? Luna Lovegood? Bilbo Baggins? At least admit that alliteration makes some memorable character names.

Oliver Ostman sounds great to me. Owen Ostman isn't bad either, although I prefer Oliver. Ian Ostman and Ethan Ostman are fine as well, although I'd avoid August since the ending sounds so similar to the beginning of your surname.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    History student, name nerd, and general geek.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by southern.maple View Post
    I love alliteration and don't understand why some people turn their noses up at it. Sure, there are times when alliteration is not so great. But Clark Kent? Peter Pan? Luna Lovegood? Bilbo Baggins? At least admit that alliteration makes some memorable character names.

Oliver Ostman sounds great to me. Owen Ostman isn't bad either, although I prefer Oliver. Ian Ostman and Ethan Ostman are fine as well, although I'd avoid August since the ending sounds so similar to the beginning of your surname.

OK, I admit it
    Last edited by lcmpdx; March 13th, 2013 at 06:06 PM.
    ~ Mommy to Callum Rhys and Jack William ~

Girls: Eleanor, Meara, Louisa, Jane, Sylvie, Iris
    Boys: Edmund, Leland, Ridley, Beckett, Samuel, Donal