Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

A New Pope Called Francis

Hi Nameberries, we have a new Roman Catholic Pope Francis I. Jorge Mario Bergoglio from Argentina was elected Pope today. He will take the name of a saint (Francis of Assisi) rather than continuing the tradition of choosing a name held by a previous pope.

What do you Berries think of the name Francis? Do you foresee an upswing in popularity for the name and its international variants (males named Francis, Francesco, Francisco, Franz, Franco and little girls being called Frances, Francesca, Francine, Françoise, Franziska, Francisca, Franca)?
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Mischa! I am so glad you posted this, because I was about to compose a post regarding the name. I think it is wonderful that he chose the name of St. Francis, and I do foresee an upswing in the names Francis, Frances and even Francesca.

My nephew just made his confirmation this past Sunday, and he chose the name Francis!
    Last edited by kyemsma; March 13th, 2013 at 04:08 PM.
    From our ancestors come our names, but from our virtues our honors. ~ Proverb

I think so few people truly name children after exemplary namesakes. In the past these sorts of honor names were very common. Perhaps more so in the Latin countries as I am sure there will be/is an enormous amount of pride in the selection of the first truly global pope (there's been a Syrian and a North African, but that's it).
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

I like it. I think we will see an upswing.. it's a great name. Not Catholic but always nice to see the traditions surrounding a papal election. Two in my lifetime... Crazy.
    Zoe Milena
    9/12/14

@kyemsma - Did you nephew had a crystal ball or something? He made a wonderful choice
    All the best,
    Mischa.