Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I think Minna is a beautiful name! Stoker's Dracula has a heroine named Mina (short for Wilhelmina). I am curious about the pronounciation you will use: Meena (long e) or Mina (short i)? I've heard it pronounced both ways.

My MIL pronounces it basically just like Minnie but with an 'a' on the end, which is why my mind went to Minnie for a nn.

I'm open to pronouncing it either way, though my main concern with the long e sound would be it sounding like "meaner" - not exactly the connotation I want!

We considered Wilhelmina, but my brother has a son William, so it's a no-go. Shame as it's a good strong name, but what can you do.

DH says prefers Minna to Minnie for the birth certificate name, but is OK with Minnie as a nn. He thinks Minna matches up better to our surname, a partially anglicized Polish name that is still recognisably Polish. I also think it fitting that the fn honour his family as the mn has already been chosen and is a family name from my side that we didn't want to use as a fn because it's invariably shortened to a name I dislike.

I love love love Minna. I toyed with the idea of using this alone or as a nickname, and if alone then with the nickname Minnie, so I could call her Mini [mylastname] or Mini Me. I thought it was hilarious for a while to introduce her to friends as "the mini [lastname]."
    http://www.onceuponatimebabynames.com/
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9772380 (please vote!)

Due December 13, 2014 (12/13/14) It's a boy!
    Zorina, Faustine, Castalia, Vasilisa, Indrina, Calluna, Anaxandra, Hildana, Selenia, Lisandra, Satyana
    ... Alaric, Silvan, Alistair, Stellan, Rainer, Evander or Evren, Caspian, Soren, Theron, Sander, Sven

Love it! I think it's a very strong choice and I like that you are honoring both sides of your family. I think that the nn Minnie is perfectly usable too. Of course, some people might associate it with Minnie Mouse, but I think that Minnie Driver made it a lot more acceptable as a real person name too.

Quote Originally Posted by dresdendoll View Post
    My grandmother provided the first voice of Minnie Mouse, so that name is special to me.
    This fascinates me!