Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fritz?

I love it and Fredric is on my short list with Fritz as a nn.
    [CENTER]
    Mommy to
    Nils David * Serafina Ann

Loves:
    Zia, Lorelei, Elowen, Vera, Adeline, Cordelia, Zorah

Judah, Peter, Fredric, Olin, Dean, Jonah

I was just looking at Fritz yesterday too. =] I like it. Initially it makes me think of a squirrel or cat, but then I think of a cute young man. If people saw it on a boy I think they'd get used to it and some of the associations would disappear.

I think the nn Fritz is definitely ready for a come back, even in the states!! I'm not sure whether it's ready to come back as a stand alone name though... I like Fritz (prefer Frits-see note) a lot! (NB: I'm American, but my father was from NL and I have many Frits's in my not too distant family tree).
    Loving right now:
    Eulalie Catharina, Beatrix Eveline, Cecily Morgana
    Ivo Marius, Euan Casper, Remy Nathaneal, Crispin Adair

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    I think it is a fun name as a nickname for Friedrich but why not consider Franz? It would fit right in with the 'z and x' factor popularity right now.

rollo
    Ooh, Franz is kind of cool!

Quote Originally Posted by alzora View Post
    (Note: I have no idea where you live, so this is written from an American standpoint, and is how I feel Fritz would be viewed in the U.S.) It feels very European to me. If I saw Fritz on a class roster, I would assume that he was not born in the United States, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a thick German accent. I would assume that Fritz is an immigrant. If he or his family had a strong connection to Germany, I'd say it could work, but otherwise I would find it odd on an all-American boy.
    Yup, I'm from the US. I do have some German heritage (along with English and Irish), but my family on both sides has been in America for many, many generations. Thanks for your input!