Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    I would name my child something religious. Our faith and beliefs are a major part of my fiance's life and mine. The name would be a way of sharing that faith with my children. I fully understand that they might not share my faith when they are old enough to make that decision for themselves. But my faith shapes all that I do and how I view the world. That would be something that I would want to leave to my children.

I'd like to point out that there are far more "religious" names than people seem to think. I've heard people say they wouldn't give their child a religious name, only to have names like Atlas, Judah, Ariadne, and Julian on their list. ALL of those names derive from a religion (Atlas/Ariadne= Greek Mythology, Judah= Judeo-Christian beliefs, and Julian = Roman Mythology via Jupiter) and there really aren't tons of names that have no connection at all to any belief system. I'd say those types of names are the exception rather than the rule. At least 6 of the top 10 boys names- Jacob, William, Jayden, Noah, Michael, and Daniel- have a connection to religion, and I haven't checked the other 4. Names arise from culture, and religion/spirituality/belief system is a huge part of every culture on earth. It is very difficult to NOT use a religious name.

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    Let's not re-open the Cohen debate AGAIN, please.

I wouldn't give my kids a religious name because, well, I'm an atheist. They'll be free to choose whatever beliefs suit them best. I would give them names that represent neutral values or figures I admire from literature and history.
    That being said, would you name him say, Christian, just being you like that sound even though you don't support the religion?
    Anastasia, Tessa, Marina, Stella
    Connor, Rhett, Corbin, Grayson

Quote Originally Posted by daisy451 View Post
    I'd like to point out that there are far more "religious" names than people seem to think. I've heard people say they wouldn't give their child a religious name, only to have names like Atlas, Judah, Ariadne, and Julian on their list. ALL of those names derive from a religion (Atlas/Ariadne= Greek Mythology, Judah= Judeo-Christian beliefs, and Julian = Roman Mythology via Jupiter) and there really aren't tons of names that have no connection at all to any belief system. I'd say those types of names are the exception rather than the rule. At least 6 of the top 10 boys names- Jacob, William, Jayden, Noah, Michael, and Daniel- have a connection to religion, and I haven't checked the other 4. Names arise from culture, and religion/spirituality/belief system is a huge part of every culture on earth. It is very difficult to NOT use a religious name.
    hmm good point
    Anastasia, Tessa, Marina, Stella
    Connor, Rhett, Corbin, Grayson

Yes. Easily. My faith is very important to me. I feel very much like @alzora--since my faith is so important to me, it's natural that my naming style reflects that. A lot of my favorite names that honor my faith aren't terribly obvious, then again, some (like Boaz!) completely are. Of course my children will be free to choose their own way (although I hope and pray that they will embrace the faith that I love so dearly!), but hopefully my children will one day appreciate the thought and love I put into their names, regardless of whether or not they choose to follow in my footsteps.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George