Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    I'm not religious. A lot of biblical names have become quite common and are not necessarily associated with only religion, so I'd be okay with that. Basically I'd pick John and Matthew over Ezekiel and Solomon any day!
    Favorites:

Audrey * Margot * Josephine * Elizabeth * Katherine * Madeleine * Natasha * Amy

Alexander * Julian * Gabriel * Adrian * Laurence * Henry * Damian * Benjamin

It was important to me that my children have saints' names because I loved reading about 'my saint' as a child and it gives us an extra celebration when we have cake on their feast days, not fair to do that for one child called Mary or James and not for poor Tiffany or Oak. Another swaying factor is that any saint's name has been used by people before, usually at least 100 years ago (obviously) so they are marginally trend proofed by that. Having said that, most saints weren't named after a saint, in fact there are some very 'pagan' saints names like Apollo and Flora from Roman converts and there is nothing to stop any baby becoming St Jayden or St Chelsea.

I would use a religious name, but I'm a Christian, so...
    Silas ~ Gideon ~ Lincoln ~ Ezekiel ~ Malachi ~ Samuel ~ Ezra ~ Charlie ~ Gabriel ~ Elliott
    Maisie ~ Sophie ~ Naomi ~ Willa ~ Evangeline ~ Freya ~ Vivienne ~ Nora ~ Josephine ~ Daphne

Quote Originally Posted by alzora View Post
    I would give my child a religious name, but not with the intent of forcing my child into a certain belief system. My children, like all humans, will have the freedom to decide what they will believe, but my husband and I are Christians and our faith is very important to us, therefore some faith-related words hold special meaning to us and will likely be name options that we will consider. Names reflect the values of the parents, not the child. A child named Ruby may hate the color red, but it may be her mother's favorite color. My faith is invaluable to me. Hopefully my children will embrace it, but if not, they may still have names that reflect my faith because they are special to me and my husband.
    I absolutely loved this explanation. Replace "Christian" and "faith" with "atheism" and "skepticism" and you perfectly summarized my feelings.
    Simon Valor | Eloise Lily | Judah Sage | Thea Marina | Felix Orion | Iris Cordelia | Roscoe Benjamin | Lydia Wren | Jasper Conroy | Phaedra Naomi | Adrian Bruno | Lucinda 'Indie' Jane | Wallace Finnegan | Sylvie Winifred | Charles 'Charlie' Elliot | Juniper Faye | Julian 'Jules' Atlas | Matilda Sailor | Marlowe Charles | Alice Elizabeth | Jack Mariner | Marigold 'Maggie' Susan

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by norbury View Post
    It was important to me that my children have saints' names because I loved reading about 'my saint' as a child and it gives us an extra celebration when we have cake on their feast days, not fair to do that for one child called Mary or James and not for poor Tiffany or Oak. Another swaying factor is that any saint's name has been used by people before, usually at least 100 years ago (obviously) so they are marginally trend proofed by that. Having said that, most saints weren't named after a saint, in fact there are some very 'pagan' saints names like Apollo and Flora from Roman converts and there is nothing to stop any baby becoming St Jayden or St Chelsea.
    I loved this answer. We are all called to live saintly lives, so it shouldn't matter what you name your child.
    Eudora - Casilda - Violetta - Odelia - Leocadia - Odette - Isolde - Valentine - Leopoldine - Isadora
    Eulalia - Aurelia - Marigold - Ariadne - Viola - Cosima - Philomena -Enid
    Averil - Caius - Casimir - Edmund - Ignatius - Benedict - Thaddeus - Raphael - Leopold - Clement
    Cassian - Isidore - Wenceslaus - Balthasar - Peregrine - Gilbert - Cornelius - Augustine - Carlisle