Names Searched Right Now:
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
    Quote Originally Posted by encore View Post
    Yonathan? That's kind of cool!
    Yonatan is a VERY popular name amongst Jews. I like it, but I don't mind Jonathan either for use in English though it doesn't declare heritage nearly as much.

For me, I'm a Jew. I don't NEED every single name we consider to be Jewish but I'm certainly not going to throw my entire culture overboard lest some hint of my background be reflected in a child's name?

I've heard that we shouldn't use Saoirse/Sinead type names as they're too hard for English speakers, and I've heard that Hebrew Biblical names don't go with our last name or sound too religious. Apparently an Irish-descent man and a Jewish woman should have British babies?

I can't name anybody a name with NO cultural loading, so why can't it be mine?

For me, I'm a Jew. I don't NEED every single name we consider to be Jewish but I'm certainly not going to throw my entire culture overboard lest some hint of my background be reflected in a child's name?

I've heard that we shouldn't use Saoirse/Sinead type names as they're too hard for English speakers, and I've heard that Hebrew Biblical names don't go with our last name or sound too religious. Apparently an Irish-descent man and a Jewish woman should have British babies?

I can't name anybody a name with NO cultural loading, so why can't it be mine?
    I'm surprised you get lots of negative opinions...just remember that you and hubby get to name your child. I appreciate your desire to reflect your cultures in childrens names. That may require disregarding mainstream opinions...but who cares? Also, I don't find Sinead difficult. (also love Siobhan, don't know whether that's on your list)
    Personal Favorites: Mira Cairdeas and Darrow Paine

Best Wishes To All

I would but that wouldn't be the only reason I would name my child the name.
    〜Ebs〜
    Isobel*Eloise*Matilda*Alice*Eleanor*Amelia*Elena* Mirabel* Felicity* Phoebe*Tallaulah*Eilidh*Rosalia*Roisin*Azalea*Elsa *
    Eamon*Tiago*Cooper*Jack*Jago*Flynn*Archer*Lincoln* Asher*Alfie*Taylor* Finnian* Baxter* Lawson*Jasper*Deacon*Lewis*
    babynameobsessed.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iamamiam View Post
    I'm surprised you get lots of negative opinions...just remember that you and hubby get to name your child. I appreciate your desire to reflect your cultures in childrens names. That may require disregarding mainstream opinions...but who cares?
    Mostly we get the "[other side] side might be able to say/spell that, but WE can't!" (goes both ways)

or

"I do think that's a nice name in itself but MOST people won't know how it's said!" Usually this is a name that's middling-normal and what they really mean is they themselves aren't comfortable with it. Meanwhile the other side of the family is confused how anyone could be confused! lol