Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Would you name your child something religious?

I know a Christian who never goes to church, but a Faith whose parents are there every Sunday. Cohen is a popular name on nameberry, and I know some people find it offensive. How do you feel about names like these? Would you use them?
    Anastasia, Tessa, Marina, Stella
    Connor, Rhett, Corbin, Grayson

Let's not re-open the Cohen debate AGAIN, please.

I wouldn't give my kids a religious name because, well, I'm an atheist. They'll be free to choose whatever beliefs suit them best. I would give them names that represent neutral values or figures I admire from literature and history.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

I only use them

Then again, I'm religious.

DH is somewhat religious, he goes to church once every few moths but firmly believes in God. I, on the hand, am not very religious at all, more agnostic than anything. However almost every name I like has a biblical connection. It doesn't bother me at all. A name is a name, I don't care where it came from.
    If I had a baby right now they'd be:
    Isaac
    or
    Blaire

I would give my child a religious name, but not with the intent of forcing my child into a certain belief system. My children, like all humans, will have the freedom to decide what they will believe, but my husband and I are Christians and our faith is very important to us, therefore some faith-related words hold special meaning to us and will likely be name options that we will consider. Names reflect the values of the parents, not the child. A child named Ruby may hate the color red, but it may be her mother's favorite color. My faith is invaluable to me. Hopefully my children will embrace it, but if not, they may still have names that reflect my faith because they are special to me and my husband.
    Last edited by alzora; March 10th, 2013 at 11:48 PM.