Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

what are you favorite legend/mythology names?

I like names such as Ariadne, Isolde, Leander, Tristan. So what are your favorite legend/mythology names (greek, roman, celtic, etc.)
    mom to Mckinley Mayfair, Christian Wayne & Sir Angus Fionn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    fave girls
    fave boys
    fave combos
    just for fun combos

Well, being an absolute sucker for the heritage of my country, and Scandinavia in general, obviously I too am a sucker for names from the Norse mythology (more thorough list in my signature, if anyone's interested):

Magne (Magni): The son of Thor and brother of Modi (Móði), his name is meaning "strong".
    Njord (Njörðr): Norse god, and father of Frej (Freyr) and Freja (Freyja), he's strongly associated with the sea and is generally thought to be the Norse Poseidon.
    Fenris (Fenrir): The gigantic wolf, and son of Loke (Loki).
    Loke (Loki): Both a god and a jötunn, was good friends with the other gods until he causes the death of Odin's favourite son, Balder (Baldr).
    Frej (Freyr): Son of Njord (Njörðr) and brother of Freja (Freyja), associated with kingship and prosperity. His name means "lord".

Saga (Sága): A Norse goddess, her name means "seeress".
    Gefion (Gefjun): A Norse goddess who created the Danish island, Zealand. Her name means "giving".
    Røskva: Sister of Tjalfe (Þjálfi) and servant to Thor. Her name is meaning "grow".
    Frigg: Norse goddess, wife of Odin and mother of Balder (Baldr), meaning "love".
    Embla: One of the two first human beings created by the gods (the female of the two, with the male being Ask). Presumed to mean "elm tree" (where Ask means "ash tree"), but there's still some uncertainty about the etymology of the name.
    Zelia/Elja • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a blog and a royalty blog.
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names.
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Elessar/Valdemar Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Juno Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

Ariadne, Isis, Saga, Juno, Orion, and Phoenix, plus Echo and Hero as guilty pleasures. I'm probably missing some, there are a lot of really good ones. Some of them are even better because of their stories- Isis, for example, traveled the world to pick up the pieces of her murdered husband, then put them back together to revive him. I'm not a terribly eloquent storyteller, but it's a really beautiful myth.

I really am going to love looking up the legends of the names I don't know.
    I am really liking Njord and Saga.
    I have always been a fan of Echo (one of the first myths I ever heard) and Hero.
    mom to Mckinley Mayfair, Christian Wayne & Sir Angus Fionn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    fave girls
    fave boys
    fave combos
    just for fun combos

All of them. But actually, quite a few.

Andromeda
    Ajax
    Amaryllis
    Antigone
    Arthur
    Arianrhod
    Atalanta
    Cassandra
    Cleo/Clio
    Danaë
    Diana
    Emrys
    Finbar
    Galatea
    Ismene
    Ishtar
    Isis
    Nydia
    Orpheus
    Pandora
    Phaedra
    Phoebe
    Sheherazade
    Taliesin
    Thisbe
    Tiamat

For most of them, I like the story. For a few, I'm not a fan of the story but love the name.
    Last edited by geeknamezyo; April 4th, 2013 at 12:14 AM.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Belphoebe Cosima Sybella Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr