Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    So, playing devil's advocate here...

What's the difference between picking Amelia instead of Emily because Emily is too popular vs Jaydon instead of Jayden because Jayden is too popular?

Quote Originally Posted by jenagain View Post
    So, playing devil's advocate here...

What's the difference between picking Amelia instead of Emily because Emily is too popular vs Jaydon instead of Jayden because Jayden is too popular?
    What's the difference?!

The difference is, Amelia is pronounced totally different to Emily, and thus they are not the same name.

Jayden and Jaydon might have different endings, but they're both pronounced as jay-dun, and thus are the same name!

If you compiled a different version of the US stats, where different spellings of the same name are added together (i.e. you'd add all the Katelyn spellings together), you wouldn't add Amelia and Emily together. You would add Jayden and Jaydon (plus all the other spellings) together.
    ♥ Margaret Mary ♥
    19. Name nerd. College freshman.

~ Eliza Josephine ~ Esther Christabel ~ Harriet Aurelia ~ Mary Jessamine ~ Rose Georgina ~ Sarah Margaret ~
    ~ Asher Benedict ~ Gabriel Walter ~ John Constantine ~ Noah August ~ Reuben Alexander ~ Samuel Ernest ~

I would probably put Emilia and Emily together, along with Emilee and Emmalee, and I might add Emma and Emmeline to the same list because as far as I'm concerned, they're so similar as to be functionally the same name. I'd absolutely group Amelia and Emilia, even though they derive from different sources. But the point is, Emily has become 'overused' so there are a whole host of names that are slight variations that one more round of parents are convincing themselves are 'fresh'.

Quote Originally Posted by jenagain View Post
    I would probably put Emilia and Emily together, along with Emilee and Emmalee, and I might add Emma and Emmeline to the same list because as far as I'm concerned, they're so similar as to be functionally the same name. I'd absolutely group Amelia and Emilia, even though they derive from different sources. But the point is, Emily has become 'overused' so there are a whole host of names that are slight variations that one more round of parents are convincing themselves are 'fresh'.
    Emilia and Emily are completely different and appeal to completely different types of people (IMO). They're nowhere near being "functionally" the same name.

Emily, Emilee, and Emmalee should all be grouped together, as well as Emma and Ema, but not Emma and Emmeline. Emmeline should be grouped with Emmaline or Emmalyn.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

So is it entirely a matter of phonetics?