2 11.11%
  • Dionne

2 11.11%
  • Veronica

3 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Help Naming The Wife of a Character

Hello fellow berries. I'm still looking for a name for the wife of one of my characters. I need some help.

Here is a recap: She is 40ish, African American, well-educated, resourceful. She is a part-time sales rep in her sister's cosmetic company. She spends most of her time taking care of their 11-year-old son. Her favorite hobby is home decor. Her husband's job make him be out of town a lot and she hates this. She hates being alone. She has had affairs with other men. No matter what though she always goes back to her husband. When he is around, he's the only person she feels safe with.

Here are some of the name options:

Alright, here are the names I like, so far.

Regina Hicks
    Paula Hicks
    Sheila Hicks
    Marcy Hicks
    Shaun Hicks
    Desiree Hicks
    Angela Hicks
    Claudia Hicks
    Dionne Hicks
    Veronica Hicks

The last name is Hicks. The husband's name is Luther.
    Last edited by crissy76; March 8th, 2013 at 05:15 PM.
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-

I don't have any children, but I write like crazy and am always looking for names for characters. I think I'm a half decent story teller, a mediocre writer, but horrible at picking names.

Favorites: Ainsley, Everly, Shay, Bryce, Michaela, Bree, Susannah, Jensen, Damien, Anson, James, Dalton, Sawyer, Alaric

With a husband named Luther, everything automatically takes a very religious, symbolic light. For example, I think Angela and Regina are your best options, but angels & the Queen of Heaven seem a little too overt next to hubby. I voted for Paula.

Also, Hicks is a very very uncommon surname for a black family, and I don't think you want something which is an everyday derogatory word. How about Watts instead? I like Luther & Paula Watts.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Oh, Jeepers....this naming business is killing me. Just when I think I pick a good name for a character, someone shoots it down. LOL. It's not your fault, blade. I appreciate the help. And, you have helped me a lot. I had someone tell me to pick a name that I like and build the character around the name, make the character own the name. I picked Luther because I like the name. Luther may symbolize religion and light, but this character is not religious and he's more a dark character.....the whole family is dark and not because of the color of their skin, but there is a mystery to them. They don't open up about themselves. And you are right. Hicks is somewhat derogatory, but I want my characters to not sound made up. I want them to feel like real people. And let's face it, we don't all have that perfect first name or last name. I do like the surname Watts though and I will play around with it and see what I think. I have another character with the surname Wylie and I'm not really sure I want another 'W' surname. Thanks again, for all your help, blade.
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-

I don't have any children, but I write like crazy and am always looking for names for characters. I think I'm a half decent story teller, a mediocre writer, but horrible at picking names.

Favorites: Ainsley, Everly, Shay, Bryce, Michaela, Bree, Susannah, Jensen, Damien, Anson, James, Dalton, Sawyer, Alaric

I like Paula.
    What about Paula and Luther Dixon?

Hey niteowl13....I totally love the last name Dixon, but of the Daryl and Merle variety. LOL I am a huge fan of The Walking Dead.
    Have a Nice Day
    -Crissy-