Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Magical names that would also fit a professional woman?

Thank you Berries for your great help so far. Olivia is back at the top of our name list, although I still feel it may be a little too close to Amelia. Same ending, begins with a vowel, three syllables... I so, so want to use it (and my husband is on board), but I still can't help feeling a little uncomfortable about it. Also, if (unlikely but you never know) we ever have a third daughter, will I be stuck in a pattern?

So, we're still looking, just in case the perfect name is still out there.

We really love names that have a magical, almost fantasy-like quality to them. With Amelia, we also considered Nolwenn, and now we're liking Elowen (well, I am although my husband worries it sounds too much like Halloween...), and Olwen. We love Arwen and Eowin, but agree they're too obviously tied with LOTR. Do you think any of those names would suit a grown, professional woman? Or are they "too much"? Can you suggest names that would have a similar feel but maybe feel somewhat more serious?

Thank you so much!
    - 2 very confused parents...
    Last edited by nikkilouise; March 7th, 2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Precision: the name has to be easy to say in both French and English...

I am a JAG lawyer (military) who has worked as a lawyer in the hard nosed area of politics and I think Elowen is a great name for a grown, professional woman. Ditto to Arwen. I much prefer both over Olivia and feel that it is a bit too close to Amelia and also not as special, which Arwen or Elowen would be. Elowen doesn't at all sound like Halloween to me. Others that seem to suit your taste would be Eloise, Anneliese, Guinivere, Geneva...
    Last edited by kkrvf; March 7th, 2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: grammatical error

What about Arden or Eden?

Quote Originally Posted by kkrvf View Post
    I am a JAG lawyer (military) who has worked as a lawyer in the hard nosed area of politics and I think Elowen is a great name for a grown, professional woman. Ditto to Arwen. I much prefer both over Olivia and feel that it is a bit too close to Amelia and also not as special, which Arwen or Elowen would be. Elowen doesn't at all sound like Halloween to me. Others that seem to suit your taste would be Eloise, Anneliese, Guinivere, Geneva...
    Thanks! Yeah, I wouldn't have thought of Halloween if my husband hadn't brought it up... It'd be nice if he could get over that! And I do like Eloise, thanks.

Of the other names suggested so far, I really like Eleanor (my husband doesn't though). I'm not as much a fan of names ending in -den as they remind me of all the Jayden/Aiden/Brayden, etc. that have popped up in the last decade...