Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What exactly is wrong with the name Jemima?

I LOVE the name Jemima. I love that it means "dove" and its connections with a lovely childhood story (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang). I think nicknames Jem, Jemma, Mimi, and Mima are cute. I know a lot of people have problems with this name being offensive, and I have some idea of what this is about - but I have never seen anyone actually explain what is so wrong and offensive with Jemima.

Oh gosh, not another. Read this- http://nameberry.com/nametalk/thread...es-Jemima-work
    Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but save yourself the trouble of starting another one of these.

Current loves:
    thomasina louise, percival hugh

. ∙ ˙ . ∙ ˙  ✶  . ∙ ˙ . ∙ ˙

♥  ❝Words have meaning and names have power.❞

Quote Originally Posted by balloonsforellie View Post
    Oh gosh, not another. Read this- http://nameberry.com/nametalk/thread...es-Jemima-work
    Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but save yourself the trouble of starting another one of these.
    Agreed. I was just coming here to post the same link.
    Simon, Eloise, Faye, Judah, Thea, Marina, Felix, Iris, Cordelia, Roscoe, Lydia, Jasper, Phaedra, Adrian, Lucinda, Jane, Wallace, Finnegan, Sylvie, Charlie, Juniper, Atlas, Matilda, Julian, Alice, Marlowe, Octavia, Jack, Marigold, Ruby Louise, Archer, Violet, Gabriel, Persephone, Dov, Louisa

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

I don't know. I'm Australian and love it but my two year old watches alot of Playschool and loves Jemima so I could never use it.
    Cassarah proud mummy bear to: Persephone Elizabeth Rose aka Persey aged 2
    Step mummy to the darling Rhylee Isabella and Emmersyn Maree aged 5
    Expecting baby number 4.
    A girl will Juniper Cleo Sawyer aka Juno
    A boy will be Tobias William Jack aka Toby

I would read the link other people have listed but want to note outside of the US Jemima is not a problem, in the US it's controversial and not usable to some of us.
    Josephine Athénaïs - Josephine Ivy - Myriam Athénaïs - Vivienne Josephine
    Athena Beatrice - Beatrice Cecile - Eléonor Anne-Sophie -Myriam Beatrice - Meredith Elizabeth
    Ambrose Aristide - Ulysses Aristide

Girls: Aenor, Bérangère, Bérénice, Catalina, Honorine, Nadezhda Boys: Augustin, Calixte, Emeric, Hugo, Lambert, Maxandre, Maxence, Yves

~~Formerly know on the boards as The.TX.Belle~~