Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    My family was in the exact same situation. I am the oldest and my name was chosen purely based on 'what we like'. Then when my younger brother came along he inherited the same middle as my dad. Growing up I didn't ever give it a second thought and to this day it hasn't ever bothered me.
    Every situation is different, but I doubt it will matter. If you feel uncomfortable or that you would be showing favor to one child over the other then I might skip it, but if I was in your position and really loved that particular combo I would go for it!
    Good luck with your decision!
    Luna

I don't think it really matters. My twin sister shares the same middle name as her godmother, while mine has no family connection...it was just a name both parents liked!
    Eudora - Casilda - Violetta - Odelia - Leocadia - Odette - Isolde - Valentine - Leopoldine - Isadora
    Eulalia - Aurelia - Marigold - Ariadne - Viola - Cosima - Philomena -Enid
    Averil - Caius - Casimir - Edmund - Ignatius - Benedict - Thaddeus - Raphael - Leopold - Clement
    Cassian - Isidore - Wenceslaus - Balthasar - Peregrine - Gilbert - Cornelius - Augustine - Carlisle

I don't think it matters. My middle name is my mother's first name, while my brother has a middle name that my parents just liked...no family connection.

I don't think it matters either... Only one of my four siblings has a family name and I only know that because I asked :-) I think being able to look your daughter in the eye and say, 'we searched and searched for a name we loved until we found the perfect one for you' is just as special as giving your son his Dad's name.

And I also think there is nothing weird in a shared mn between a father and son without it being a full 'jnr'. In fact, out eldest son has DH's middle name as one of his middles :-)
    Katie
    Happily married to a fabulous but completely-not-interested-in-names guy.

Mum to:

Gebriael Geoffrey Edwin Keith (01/02/05)
    Roscoe Geoffrey Yohannes (09/04/08)
    Cormac Geoffrey Adisu (02/08/11)
    Boaz Geoffrey Mekonnen (04/07/13)

I have worried about this as well since my 1st son has a family name, and my daughter does not. When it comes down to it I think it is okay because both of their names have special meaning whether it is a family name or not. Some of my siblings had family names and some did not, and it has never been an issue. I think it is important to let your children know how important and meaningful their names are, and they will hopefully be proud of the name they carry.