Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    I haven't chimed in for awhile, and I'm sure I'm one of the early commenters whose input your significant other doesn't like! And since there's still some time and this baby hasn't yet been born, here goes, I'm going to risk saying what many "lurkers" are perhaps thinking.

First and foremost, I think you may have created the absolute best addictive online reality naming thread game ever! Name nerds cannot resist--it's been a veritable patisserie of naming ideas so much more interesting than the usual Violet-Juniper-Birdie polls. If you can think of a way to market this you will have created a perfect income flow while your child(ren) is/are young.......

But having said, that, seriously, I would not like to have been given any of these names (in their entirety) by my parents. They are too complex and affected for actual use. I don't picture green meadows and starlit escapades, I picture a kid with really thick glasses who is extremely self-conscious and self-centered and alone on the playground, very adult-oriented. And I don't really know what to suggest, here. I think one complex name, or at most, two, per group of triptych names is more than enough. At the very least, if I were choosing, I wouldn't tell my child her full name until adulthood! It will be enough for a small child to have to say, spell, and maybe explain even one of these. And yes, I see their beauty, but only theoretically. And I do get that if you and your significant other are artists, you have a greater-than-average pressure to create an unusual artwork of a name. And I get living in a community with a Waldorf school, because I, too, live in such a place. But aside from the less than 1% of us who are fascinated by names, most people, upon hearing/reading your choices, are going to say/think "Boy, they were trying too hard."

So my advice would be to temper your choices with at least one more commonly recognized name, and to consider doing so in the first-name slot.

I apologize in advance if I've hurt your feelings, but it is the child I am thinking of!
    Last edited by thuja; March 5th, 2013 at 09:42 AM.

Cressida Iris Amoret- Love Iris Amoret, neutral about Cressida.
    Fiammetta Ophelia Yvaine- Yvaine is pretty too, but I prefer your previous choice, Noor.
    Hespera Daphne Arden- again, I prefer Roselaine, it's a lot prettier.
    Illyria Charis Marian- Love this!

About thuja's comment, I agree for some part. Not everyone will think about evening nymph or green meadow or frosty winter, especially little kids. They may think it's simply a weird name. But, I don't say you can't use these names. These all beautiful names and having unique names has its own benefit.
    Something like Terpishcore, Snowfinch or Fieldrush are definitely "trying too hard" (in my opinion), but not Illyria, Amoret or Fiametta.
    Me, I love my name but dislike having many namesakes. In order to prevent my future children to have same issue with me, I also prefer unusual names.
    Although my list is not that whimsical, I still consider myself a unique name lover. In my opinion, having unique name can help you to be more independent, even confident (okay, it depends on the personality of the name bearer). To blend in is important, but it does not require you to have names like everyone else have.
    There's always pros and cons in everything, that's your risk and I said take it.
    Call me Cynthia, Angie, or Luna. 22. Name nerd.

Clemency | Clementine | Juliette | Helena | Isabelle | Annabelle | Evangeline | Seraphina | Rosalind | Violetta
    Vanessa | Audrey | Ariadne | Callista | Belphoebe | Bellatrix | Lyra | Valencia | Valentina | Laetitia | Cytherea
    Gavriel | Hermes | Flynn | James | Orion | Alexander | Caspian | Peregrine | Marius | Altair | Lucias
    Callum | Cadmus | Jason | Perseus | Theseus | Oliver | Éomund | Stellan | Amias

Cressida Iris Amoret- Love Iris Amoret, neutral about Cressida.
    Fiammetta Ophelia Yvaine- Yvaine is pretty too, but I prefer your previous choice, Noor.
    Hespera Daphne Arden- again, I prefer Roselaine, it's a lot prettier.
    Illyria Charis Marian- Love this!

About thuja's comment, I agree for some part. Not everyone will think about evening nymph or green meadow or frosty winter, especially little kids. They may think it's simply a weird name. But, I don't say you can't use these names. These all beautiful names and having unique names has its own benefit.
    Something like Terpishcore, Snowfinch or Fieldrush are definitely "trying too hard" (in my opinion), but not Illyria, Amoret or Fiametta.
    Me, I love my name but dislike having many namesakes. In order to prevent my future children to have same issue with me, I also prefer unusual names.
    Although my list is not that whimsical, I still consider myself a unique name lover. In my opinion, having unique name can help you to be more independent, even confident (okay, it depends on the personality of the name bearer). To blend in is important, but it does not require you to have names like everyone else have.
    There's always pros and cons in everything, that's your risk and I said take it.
    Call me Cynthia, Angie, or Luna. 22. Name nerd.

Clemency | Clementine | Juliette | Helena | Isabelle | Annabelle | Evangeline | Seraphina | Rosalind | Violetta
    Vanessa | Audrey | Ariadne | Callista | Belphoebe | Bellatrix | Lyra | Valencia | Valentina | Laetitia | Cytherea
    Gavriel | Hermes | Flynn | James | Orion | Alexander | Caspian | Peregrine | Marius | Altair | Lucias
    Callum | Cadmus | Jason | Perseus | Theseus | Oliver | Éomund | Stellan | Amias

Thanks so much everyone. Will try to reply to each and everyone of you...

dindlee: If we were to consider Prince Harry's girlfriends and conquests, there would hardly be any names left! We dropped Noor (at least for now), boyfriend wasn't sure about it.

charlieandperry: Hehe, thanks. Polyhymnia is out, I don't know what I was thinking. Trying to normalize, and that's what I threw in. See, I do need help! I love Imogen, Stella and Beatrice. Will add to the list.

isabellemarie: Thank you

garnet: I wish I liked Cordelia. It's one of those names I should love, but I've read Shakespeare from a very young age (and seen the plays) and every time I see or read King Lear I want to yell at and shake Cordelia for being so idiotic. I like Ophelia, the play doesn't catch her on her best day, but I do like her. And it has more than that association for me, it's like a trinity. Gilda is out as a first, it feels clunky. I like Thalia Viola Elaine, very pretty. Zenobia, I had no idea this was Tina Fey's daughters name, I had to look it up. Thanks, you have many good suggestions and points made here.

milenaviolet: You're a clever one, aren't you? Daphne Hespera Arden is glorious. I was thinking about putting Hespera and Illyria in the middle, actually, and this sounds great. Matilda Elettra Rosalind is so pretty, I really like it! Matilda is unfortunately taken by a friend, but it is lovely. Thanks so much for your thoughts and cleverness!

jame1881: Thank you, yeah some of them are a mouthful... Cressida is quickly becoming one of my favourites, I'm glad to see people liking it.

peacelovepurple: Yeah, I meant more normal I guess. In England, and in the circle we're in and our child will be in, no one would raise an eyebrow at Cressida or Zenobia. Some of the ones you mention there are already on my list, but I do like and will add Celia. So sweet.

jtucker: Thanks! Gilda is Italian, it's the famous Rita Hayworth movie.

saoirser: Thank you, I might indeed move Rosalind to the first spot.

ireland: I've never heard of Amitola before. Is it right that it means "rainbow"?

geeknamezyo: Ooh, I like your three suggestions, they're all stunning, especially Illyria Charis Yvaine. Thanks for your comments as well!

jamee29: Thanks, I do think Fiammetta is usable. Fia, Fiamma, and adorable Foo.

Blade: Nah, Gilda is out. I had just seen the movie and as usual, got carried away. yeah, faithless Cressida. I still quite like her, and the name is so beautiful. Just need some sweet names in the middle, and that's what Iris and Amoret are for! I love Portia (boyfriend dislikes the name though) and Viola and Nerissa too. We might use Viola as a first. I am going to go over my list when I'm done replying and make a neat list. I do like Viola Zenobia Elaine, very pretty!

leonie: It does help, I think Illyria is a middle name. Zenobia Iris Rosalind is gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous! Thanks!

Thuja: When I started reading this I was worried you were going to say something mean, but it was all helpful. You didn't hurt my feelings, I am normalizing every day. Although, normal for me might not be what others consider normal. I've grown up with an uncommon name, and had many friends with more unusual names, as is common in the upper classes in England. Cressida and Zenobia might seem way out there, but they won't be looked at that way in the circle we're in, and having multiple unusual names is basically the norm. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it and thanks for the sweet words as well

c@29: Thank you, yeah some of our previous crushes were definitely too out there. We actually read through our old posts a few days ago and it was a good laugh!
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I love your Cressida combo!
    Me + hubby = One prince and two little princesses <3 <3 <3. So in love with our family and our new little pink bundle!!