Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Caja

Caja

I've been thinking a lot about Caja lately, which means "daisy" in Cornish. I've a bit confused about the pronunciation though - the J is apparently the same as the J sound in "jumping", but I'm not sure about the first A - is it kay-jah or kah-jah? Does anyone know? I've been been getting some conflicting information.

Thoughts on it in general? I suspect that if I ever used it (which would be a long time away) a lot of people would assume that pronunciation was something like kye-ah, but I'm not sure how problematic I find that to be. What would be your first instincts regarding pronunciation?

Because I am familiar with the name Maja, (mah-jah) I would say Cah-jah.

To me, I saw "Caja" and automatically pronounced the "j" as an "h" sound, as in SPanish (kah-hah). In Spanish, the word "caja" means box.

Quote Originally Posted by mountains_and_miro View Post
    To me, I saw "Caja" and automatically pronounced the "j" as an "h" sound, as in SPanish (kah-hah). In Spanish, the word "caja" means box.
    Ooh, that's another pronunciation possibility. I knew about that, but I'd forgotten. Box at least isn't really a bad association, even if it isn't a good one either.

When I saw the name, I thought the "j" would be pronounced as a "y", giving Kai-ya The name is cute but I think someone with this name would have to deal with pronunciation & spelling issues their whole life. One of my colleagues is named Tanja, pronounced Tanya... but soooo many people pronounce the "j" as an English "j". She has to deal with that every day. I'm sure that can be very annoying!