Names Searched Right Now:
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Okay, so I'm totally reviving an old thread, here, but a friend posted this online today. It reminded me of this thread and I had to share

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7460/8...4fce671883.jpg
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

Quote Originally Posted by encore View Post
    There's sometimes actually reverse discrimination with girls as well. I am the epitome of a girly-girl, and people don't seem to like that anymore. It gets really annoying when people don't like that stuff.
    Yes yes yes. I'm so glad someone mentioned this. My aunt has never encouraged super tomboy or girly ness for either of her daughters. They have dress up, trucks, dolls, and sports in their house. Still, her oldest is the frilliest little one - loves princesses and dress up clothes and hates getting dirty. She is just like that with no encouragement needed - AND THAT IS OKAY TOO!

She still likes sports, but she plays basketball in tutus and generally refuses to wear pants, choosing instead skirts or dresses. My aunt lets her dress her self in the morning and encourages her every step of the way even though my aunt, herself, was always a tomboy and doesn't understand it at all. She lets her daughter be whom she wants to be.

We need to promote this in all children. As a pp said, let the child lead.
    Ladies
    Avery Elizabeth Celine ~ Caroline Frances Lucille ~ Clarity Anneliese Kate
    Josephine Louisa Danielle ~ Rosemary Margaret Jayne

&
    Gentlemen
    Elijah Laurence Rhys ~ Ezra William Beau ~ Julian Samuel John
    Logan Christopher Knightley ~ Theodore David Henry

Literary GP Combos
    Charlotte Pemberley Jane ~ Philippa Austen Rose

Wedding first, September 2015 - baby soon after? *fingers crossed*

That is hilarious TK! Thanks for sharing.
    Ttc a baby brother or sister for Luther Wolf!

Tara, that is so cool! Made me laugh
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

TK, I love that helpful chart!

Okay, I am not a particularly radical person, not setting out to name my son Elizabeth or my daughter Micheal. I did not put hair bows in my sons hair, even though I think hair bows are adorable. His clothes are 99% hand me downs from a cousin, so they tend to feature dinosaurs and trucks. I do think that he will want dance lessons though, and we will be happy to oblige him in this. He has a huge repertoire of dance moves for a one and a half year old.

I agree that gender is a social construct, but many things are social constructs, and this doesn't render them invalid. It seems to me that all societies have done gender in some way or another, and that there are problems with all of these.

But some of these rules that we are running into are ridiculous. For instance, I always let my son pick out his own sippie cups and toothbrushes, stuff like that, at the store. Generally there will be a choice between pink, blue, and green. He nearly always goes for pink. Sometimes orange, if that is an option. To me, this says that he prefers warm colors right now. But we will be out and he will have a pink sippie cup and people will honestly remark on this. They will say things like, "oh, that's not your sippie cup! Who's sippie cup is this?" Or laugh and say that he must have a big sister. Seriously. It is a sippie cup. The pink one doesn't function any differently than the blue one.

I mean, did you know that they now make gender specific Dreft? It is laundry detergent, for goodness sakes. I honestly think that a lot of this is invented/enforced by the huge greedy capitalist marketing machine. If everything is gendered, then they can hope to sell parents everything at least twice.

We have neighbors w. two year old boy/girl twins. The little boy sometimes wants to wear his sister's dresses, so his parents let him. This horrifies some of our other neighbors. They seem to think it is pretty close to child abuse. They aren't making the kid wear dresses, he notices that his sister gets to choose between pants and skirts and he wants to choose, too. He is two! It is the kind if thing to me that only becomes a big deal if you forbid it and overreact out of it. And please note, by "big deal" I don't mean a big deal to me. If my son wants to grow up and wear dresses, he is welcome to do that.