Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    I mostly agree with kala_way. Although I would add that gender and sex roles are more than sociocultural; they are a part of our nature. They're not incidental.

I used to would have been right around where augusta_lee is on this issue but my thinking has, um, I'll say evolved. I have lived in San Francisco; I would no longer be very welcome there. I was rather radical Left as a youngster. I am now a conservative libertarian-ish Catholic.

So come to think of it, rather than stir up a hornet's nest I think I'm gonna go find a different thread. :-)
    Mrs. H.
    Trying for our first.
    Jack . Walker . David . Gabriel . Joe . Michael
    Clementine . Margot . Elizabeth . Nadia . Grace . Emerald

Quote Originally Posted by charlieandperry1 View Post
    One thing I really don't like with gender stereotyping is colour. Some people seem to dress their kids up in entirely pink or blue from the moment they're born and buy all the baby gear in the same colour.
    I personally dislike baby pink and baby blue, but I know for a lot of mothers it isn't exactly a choice. My sister was quite young when she had her first and most of her baby stuff was donated or borrowed or given to her at showers etc. When people hear that it's a girl, they buy pink. So despite the fact that she hated pink my sister had a closet full of pink clothes for her first daughter.

Also, I know the reason a lot of people use the "expected" colors is so that they don't have to correct people all the time. It irritated my sister to no end when people would walk up and say, "Aww, your boy is so handsome!" Just because my niece was wearing jeans and a purple shirt. Apparently, if it's not in pink it's a boy, lol.

I do agree with your point that forcing children away from certain color choices in toys is crazy.

We were at a baseball game the other week and a father in front of us wouldn't by a cotton candy for his son because all the seller had left was pink! Seriously! It's candy, all strawberry/cherry/watermelon/raspberry/etc flavored candy is pink! Maybe he discourages the use of Pepto Bismol as well.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
    I personally dislike baby pink and baby blue, but I know for a lot of mothers it isn't exactly a choice. My sister was quite young when she had her first and most of her baby stuff was donated or borrowed or given to her at showers etc. When people hear that it's a girl, they buy pink. So despite the fact that she hated pink my sister had a closet full of pink clothes for her first daughter.

Also, I know the reason a lot of people use the "expected" colors is so that they don't have to correct people all the time. It irritated my sister to no end when people would walk up and say, "Aww, your boy is so handsome!" Just because my niece was wearing jeans and a purple shirt. Apparently, if it's not in pink it's a boy, lol.

I do agree with your point that forcing children away from certain color choices in toys is crazy.

We were at a baseball game the other week and a father in front of us wouldn't by a cotton candy for his son because all the seller had left was pink! Seriously! It's candy, all strawberry/cherry/watermelon/raspberry/etc flavored candy is pink! Maybe he discourages the use of Pepto Bismol as well.
    I definitely agree, and the cotton candy thing is ridiculous! But I think people go to far with it. Yes, girls shouldn't have to be in pink, but it should be acceptable if they are (and boys as well). It seems as if both genders are pushed to be more masculine.
    Anastasia, Tessa, Marina, Stella
    Connor, Rhett, Corbin, Grayson

Quote Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
    I'm half and half on this because I can see it being taken too far in both directions.

Boys dancing? totally. awesome and fantastic, not a huge deal.
    Boys being encouraged to wear dresses? not so much.

Girls playing with trucks? wonderful and great!
    Girls being pushed into tough sports when they don't enjoy them and aren't good at them? no.

There are in fact gender and sex roles in our society as much as some people don't want to acknowledge them, teaching your children to ignore them may broaden their minds but will also make for a lot of difficult teasing and questions earlier than they may be able to truly handle.

I think it's best to be mostly led by your child in things like this. If you let them walk around the toy store and pick anything they want, if they pick a truck or a doll--get it for them, who cares whether they're a boy or girl. But don't try to make a point to other people by making your kid an example.
    I have to say I agree with this view. People often take it a little too far! Having studied how some parents are choosing to raise their kids Gender Neutral. Some parents need to really think about how this will affect their child's future.
    Eudora - Casilda - Violetta - Odelia - Leocadia - Odette - Isolde - Valentine - Leopoldine - Isadora
    Eulalia - Aurelia - Marigold - Ariadne - Viola - Cosima - Philomena
    Averil - Caius - Casimir - Basil - Ignatius - Benedict - Thaddeus - Raphael - Leopold - Clement
    Cassian - Isidore - Wenceslaus - Balthasar - Arlo - Gilbert - Cornelius - Augustine - Carlisle

Quote Originally Posted by isabellemarie View Post
    I have to say I agree with this view. People often take it a little too far! Having studied how some parents are choosing to raise their kids Gender Neutral. Some parents need to really think about how this will affect their child's future.
    Out of interest...how DO you think it will affect their child's future?

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...