Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
    I don't think the aim is "fat" barbies. I think the idea is just to aim for something slightly more realistic.
    Mommy to Elijah Michael & Felicity Elizabeth Louise

My Girls: Opal, Freya, Genevieve, Evangeline, Cordelia, Theodosia
    DH Girls: Laura, Elora, Coco, Phoebe, Piper, Paige, Tillie, Avalon

My Boys: Viggo, Hugo, Arthur, Bartholomew, Archer, Atlas, Phineas, Milo
    DH Boys: Sebastian, Gabriel, Alden, Jesse, Asher, Gideon, Spencer, Isaiah

GP: Tempest, Indigo, Magnolia, Calico, Spirit, Persephone, Ransom, Euphemia

Current Favorites: Harvey Archer & Cordelia Sylvie Antoinette

Quote Originally Posted by saranel View Post
    I don't think the aim is "fat" barbies. I think the idea is just to aim for something slightly more realistic.
    Ok, point taken. Maybe it is just some of my contempt coming out from people's comments about my weight my whole life. I understand that girls should feel good about themselves even if they aren't skinny, but there is a double standard because people have no problem telling me I am too skinny. I am very active with a good metabolism, and while it wouldn't hurt me to get five pounds or so, I am far from anorexic and eat plenty. If we are trying to teach young girls to be happy with their bodies, we should be accepting of both girls who are a little too skinny and a little too overweight, and consider anorexia and obesity to be in the same category.
    Back to the gender stereotyping, what about ridiculously muscular Superhero action figures, etc.? Is that not as bad as an unrealistically thin woman?
    Anastasia, Tessa, Marina, Stella
    Connor, Rhett, Corbin, Grayson

A country where we get weather that people complain about a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by encore View Post
    I apologize for being so blunt, but I don't see any other way to put it.
    What girl will go to the shelves of the toy store and reach for a fat doll? No little girl I know. I agree it probably is a horrible mentality, but I don't see any way around it.
    Girls like dolls that look like them. While they may change when they grow up, many little girls ARE skinny and blonde. Maybe I was just an oblivious child, but I never really noticed Barbie as being "sexy" or "perfect". She had the same long, blonde hair as my friend Abby, and blue eyes like me, with beautiful dresses we all wished we had.
    As someone who used to play with Barbies occasionally, I don't think she's very realistically proportioned (at least she wasn't in the early to mid 2000s when I was growing up.) As far as I know Barbie was based on a German doll for men called Lilli, which was meant to be "sexy".

ETA: Encore, I too have aforementioned fast metabolism and have been berated for being skinny... and I STILL occasionally worry about being too fat even though logically I shouldn't. It's something that's learned, and I'm pretty sure for me that it started with Barbie.
    Last edited by amberdaydream; March 4th, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
    Delilah CelesteAveline Ruth Winter FaySilas Alaric Fabian Seth Lucian Ezra

Archetypal name-obsessed teenager here. Avatar is the blue knight from Castle Crashers, a game produced by The Behemoth. Credit goes to their artist/s.

Quote Originally Posted by amberdaydream View Post
    As someone who used to play with Barbies occasionally, I don't think she's very realistically proportioned (at least she wasn't in the early to mid 2000s when I was growing up.) As far as I know Barbie was based on a German doll for men called Lilli, which was meant to be "sexy".
    She was indeed based on Lilli, who wasn't just supposed to be "sexy", she was the first commercially manufactured and widely distributed sex doll. Mull that over next time you're at the toy store.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

A country where we get weather that people complain about a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    She was indeed based on Lilli, who wasn't just supposed to be "sexy", she was the first commercially manufactured and widely distributed sex doll. Mull that over next time you're at the toy store.
    I know right? I was never seriously into barbie but learning that was still a bit of a childhood smasher. Also she seems too thin to get her period.
    Delilah CelesteAveline Ruth Winter FaySilas Alaric Fabian Seth Lucian Ezra

Archetypal name-obsessed teenager here. Avatar is the blue knight from Castle Crashers, a game produced by The Behemoth. Credit goes to their artist/s.