Names Searched Right Now:
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
    I will definitely be encouraging my daughter to explore and excel in the STEM fields. I was never particularly encouraged in math as a little girl. I think it has limited my opportunities in life.

Other than that, I will be learning as I go. Plans are to enroll children of both genders in cultural dance and soccer.

This has been a fun thread to read!
    Baby girl due September 2, 2013!

Guilty pleasures: Anastasia Isadora/Isidore Nicodemus Persephone Darrow Opaline Aurelia Chloe Mirabel Camelia

Although it's worth considering why a minority [edit: a minority of men, I mean] would try and carve out a new niche. There's still an underlying misogyny for as long as feminine = undesirable.
    Agreed, however I worry that the already existing misogyny of many men is only being exacerbated by women's freedom-IWO that we pay for it one way or the other (in the prior form of lesser freedoms or current /future manifestations as cultural backlash/ increased (?) violence against women).

One other thought per the initial poster- I think the gender stereotyping is increasing to such a degree that I find that girls and boys no longer play together, at least not the way they did in my generation (I was a child in the late 70s/early 80s). Outside of my own children who play with reach other, I find that all the birthday parties we go to are single-sex after about the age of 4 years old, and no one has playdates with boys/girls the way I remember happening and experienced myself when I was growing up. It seems sad and regressive.

Quote Originally Posted by katzenjammers View Post
    One other thought per the initial poster- I think the gender stereotyping is increasing to such a degree that I find that girls and boys no longer play together, at least not the way they did in my generation (I was a child in the late 70s/early 80s). Outside of my own children who play with reach other, I find that all the birthday parties we go to are single-sex after about the age of 4 years old, and no one has playdates with boys/girls the way I remember happening and experienced myself when I was growing up. It seems sad and regressive.
    I remember it being this way when I was growing up in the 80's. I wonder if the parties thing has as much to do with the ridiculous amounts of money that people spend on birthday parties these days. Much easier to just say "only the boys from class" than to pick and choose. Although, DH's parents admittedly kept him from coed parties after about age 8, and that was the 80's.
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

Quote Originally Posted by tk. View Post
    I certainly wish someone would have told me how ridiculous those stirrup pants with the different colored Saturns on them looked - it would have saved me some merciless teasing in the 5th grade!
    Ohh, man I hear you on that front! I had cow print leggings in Grade 6. You think my parents could have foreseen the negative outcome of that fashion choice....
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova