Names Searched Right Now:
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
    A country where we get weather that people complain about a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by katzenjammers View Post
    I surmise that men are trying to carve out a new niche in the world. As they are often no longer the primary breadwinners for many families, and can't give birth, I imagine they struggle with what they ARE to the world, what purposes they serve. Unfortunately I fear that many of them have chosen the route of hyper-masculinity (like the father cited in the initial post who flipped out about his son's gift of the toy kitchen). I fear this need to recreate the male identity will and is dividing the fenders more, and i worry it will hurt the women in the long run through increased violence and rape in an effort for men to re-establish a purpose using old, familiar stereotypes.
    Although it's worth considering why a minority [edit: a minority of men, I mean] would try and carve out a new niche. There's still an underlying misogyny for as long as feminine = undesirable.

@encore - you're not offending me, I just like the mental exercise of debate.
    Last edited by amberdaydream; March 4th, 2013 at 04:37 PM.
    Delilah CelesteAveline Ruth Winter FaySilas Alaric Fabian Seth Lucian Ezra

Archetypal name-obsessed teenager here. Avatar is the blue knight from Castle Crashers, a game produced by The Behemoth. Credit goes to their artist/s.

Quote Originally Posted by amberdaydream View Post
    Anorexia is a disorder of the mind, obesity is BMI description. If you're not anorexic, but underweight? Not much of a problem.

Superman is fleshed out considerably more than Barbie, though. Traditionally, what are Barbie's hobbies? Shopping, wearing clothes. It tends to revolve around how she looks. That is the centre of the product. It's why you don't think there should be fat Barbies. Superman, conversely - it's about what he does. He wouldn't be running around in underwear over his trousers if looks mattered to Superman. He likes saving the world and spending time with Lois Lane. Edit: Not to mention that Superman is intended to be magical (kryptonite and all that) whereas Barbie is not described as having any magical thinning power.
    again, these comments seem to completely prove mine wrong, and justly so, especially the first part. Maybe it's just the area I live in or the people I associate with, but I have an issue with so much emphasize being put on making sure girls think their weigh is ok ONLY if it leans more towards bigger than smaller than "normal".

as for Superman, I didn't think of it that way and you're right. He contributed to society. Maybe that's why I liked my American Girl dolls even better than my Barbies? little girls with history...

edit: just saw your comment about debate. perhaps we are all a little bored today spending too much time enjoying debate? I for one am "studying" for an exam for an incredibly unorganized professor.
    Anastasia, Tessa, Marina, Stella
    Connor, Rhett, Corbin, Grayson

Quote Originally Posted by encore View Post
    I have an issue with so much emphasize being put on making sure girls think their weigh is ok ONLY if it leans more towards bigger than smaller than "normal".
    No worries; I do too. I've been chased around by my friends while they yell "BONYYYYY!" at me, which was funny at first but then after a while it was kind of hurtful. I don't agree with the skinny = anorexic stereotype anymore than I agree with the fat = ugly stereotype. It's only when the desire for a thin shape becomes obsessive that it's problem.

Archetypal name-obsessed teenager here. Avatar is the blue knight from Castle Crashers, a game produced by The Behemoth. Credit goes to their artist/s.

Quote Originally Posted by encore View Post
    edit: just saw your comment about debate. perhaps we are all a little bored today spending too much time enjoying debate? I for one am "studying" for an exam for an incredibly unorganized professor.
    It's a pretty good cure for boredom. Also gives me a chance to assess how I think, 'cause I have a lot of random thoughts and debate is one of the few ways I can try and organise them lol. I find it fascinating hearing everyone's side of the story really.

I will definitely be encouraging my daughter to explore and excel in the STEM fields. I was never particularly encouraged in math as a little girl. I think it has limited my opportunities in life.

Other than that, I will be learning as I go. Plans are to enroll children of both genders in cultural dance and soccer.

This has been a fun thread to read!
    Baby girl K.A.
    Born September 2013

Guilty pleasures: Anastasia Isadora/Isidore Nicodemus Persephone Darrow Opaline Aurelia Chloe Mirabel Camelia