Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by encore View Post
    Maybe it is just some of my contempt coming out from people's comments about my weight my whole life. I understand that girls should feel good about themselves even if they aren't skinny, but there is a double standard because people have no problem telling me I am too skinny. I am very active with a good metabolism, and while it wouldn't hurt me to get five pounds or so, I am far from anorexic and eat plenty. If we are trying to teach young girls to be happy with their bodies, we should be accepting of both girls who are a little too skinny and a little too overweight, and consider anorexia and obesity to be in the same category.
    Back to the gender stereotyping, what about ridiculously muscular Superhero action figures, etc.? Is that not as bad as an unrealistically thin woman?
    I hear you. People have always told me I'm too skinny, and you must be anorexic (which I'm not), and I think that's what has lead me to an insane obsession with my looks. Not barbies.

On to the doll: I was not allowed Barbies as a child, my mother got us the Barbie's little sister Skipper instead. She's supposed to be a mid teen I guess, she's very cute. The doll I've got is from the 60's (you can find them on ebay) and has lots of nice not sexy clothes. Here she is!
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

A country where we get weather that people complain about a lot.
    consider anorexia and obesity to be in the same category.
    Anorexia is a disorder of the mind, obesity is BMI description. If you're not anorexic, but underweight? Not much of a problem.

Back to the gender stereotyping, what about ridiculously muscular Superhero action figures, etc.? Is that not as bad as an unrealistically thin woman?
    Superman is fleshed out considerably more than Barbie, though. Traditionally, what are Barbie's hobbies? Shopping, wearing clothes. It tends to revolve around how she looks. That is the centre of the product. It's why you don't think there should be fat Barbies. Superman, conversely - it's about what he does. He wouldn't be running around in underwear over his trousers if looks mattered to Superman. He likes saving the world and spending time with Lois Lane. Edit: Not to mention that Superman is intended to be magical (kryptonite and all that) whereas Barbie is not described as having any magical thinning power.
    Last edited by amberdaydream; March 4th, 2013 at 04:10 PM.
    Delilah CelesteAveline Ruth Winter FaySilas Alaric Fabian Seth Lucian Ezra

Archetypal name-obsessed teenager here. Avatar is the blue knight from Castle Crashers, a game produced by The Behemoth. Credit goes to their artist/s.

Quote Originally Posted by amberdaydream View Post
    Anorexia is a disorder of the mind, obesity is BMI description. If you're not anorexic, but underweight? Not much of a problem.

Superman is fleshed out considerably more than Barbie, though. Traditionally, what are Barbie's hobbies? Shopping, wearing clothes. It tends to revolve around how she looks. That is the centre of the product. It's why you don't think there should be fat Barbies. Superman, conversely - it's about what he does. He wouldn't be running around in underwear over his trousers if looks mattered to Superman. He likes saving the world and spending time with Lois Lane.
    Everything you said. Plus, consider what traits are exaggerated in Superman versus, say, Barbie. Superman has exaggerated physical strength as well as the totally enviable abilities of flight and x-ray vision. Barbie has exaggerated boobs. To extrapolate this further, we can say that, in general, depictions of men are exaggerated to emphasize their strength; depictions of women are exaggerated to emphasize their sexuality. There's an enormous difference.

Also, since we brought up comic books, another awesome site that demonstrates this divide perfectly:

eschergirls.tumblr.com

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

As the mother of a large family with mixed genders I think about this topic a lot. While the Women's movement was Essential, I think that, like after many movements, we are experiencing a cultural backlash in an effort to right the ship...Maybe the pendulum had swung so far in the other direction that there is a major double standard (per pp's: women can play with many types of toys, wear anything they choose, and use masculine names, whereas men seem more limited/restricted).

In reaction to the above shift, I surmise that men are trying to carve out a new niche in the world. As they are often no longer the primary breadwinners for many families, and can't give birth, I imagine they struggle with what they ARE to the world, what purposes they serve. Unfortunately I fear that many of them have chosen the route of hyper-masculinity (like the father cited in the initial post who flipped out about his son's gift of the toy kitchen: with an uber-machismo, reactionary response). I fear this need to recreate the male identity will and is already dividing the genders more, and I worry it will hurt the women in the long run through increased violence and rape in an effort for men to re-establish their purpose/identity using old, familiar stereotypes.

It's a scary societal thing to watch and I hope we can all find a way to find a purpose in this world, regardless of our gender. I personally hope to raise all of my children to excel at their native talents, challenge themselves, and respect each other as human beings, as well as respecting the special attributes that might accompany being a man or a woman (though I don't plan to determine those myself!) Wanted to add, my children play equally well, and with each other, with Barbies, Legos, Dress-up, and Thomas, etc. As someone who came from an all girl family, I think they are so lucky to be exposed to the alternate gender.

Hope I didn't offend anyone with my ramblings; this topic weighs heavily on me and is one over which I have great concerns for my own children, and varying thoughts on how to address it and how it will all pan out for them.
    Last edited by katzenjammers; March 4th, 2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: typos, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by katzenjammers View Post
    As the mother of a large family with mixed genders I think about this topic a lot. While the Women's movement was essential, i think that like after many movements, we are experiencing a cultural backlash in an effort to right the ship...Maybe the pendulum had swung so far in the other direction that there is a major double standard (per pp's: women can play with many types of toys, wear anything they choose, and use masculine names, whereas men seem more limited). as a reaction to this, I surmise that men are trying to carve out a new niche in the world. As they are often no longer the primary breadwinners for many families, and can't give birth, I imagine they struggle with what they ARE to the world, what purposes they serve. Unfortunately I fear that many of them have chosen the route of hyper-masculinity (like the father cited in the initial post who flipped out about his son's gift of the toy kitchen). I fear this need to recreate the male identity will and is dividing the fenders more, and i worry it will hurt the women in the long run through increased violence and rape in an effort for men to re-establish a purpose using old, familiar stereotypes. it's a scary thing to watch and i hope we can all find a way to find a purpose in thus world, regardless of our gender. I personally hope to raise all of my children to excel at their native talents, challenge themselves, and respect each other as human beings, as well as the special attributes that might accompany being a man or a woman(though i don't plan to determine those myself!)
    Hope I didn't offend anyone, this topic was just per salient for me and one over which I have great concerns, and varying thoughts.
    not offensive at all; I seem to be the one offending (oops! I don't usually do that!) great points!
    Anastasia, Tessa, Marina, Stella
    Connor, Rhett, Corbin, Grayson