Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I am married to a videogame nerd as well and I am the bookworm in the relationship. My hubby has been pretty stubborn too. However through the stubbornness he has made a few decent suggestions. He likes Leo and Locke (both from Final Fantasy 6) and I like those names too since I put my foot down on Link and Zelda because that's way too obvious for me. I am currently loving Caspian from the Narnia books. I'm not so sure about Dresden but love the girl's name! I am considering Wren as a mn my self. Anyway I'll try to come up with some other suggestions, if you do a videogame name I would try to do something less obvious. Hope this was helpful, good luck!
    Married for almost 2 wonderful years and dreaming about starting a family in the near future!

Felix ~ Atticus ~ Hugo ~ Leo ~ Maximus ~ Sebastian ~ Caspian ~ Evander

Sage ~ Penelope ~ Vittoria ~ Lucilla ~ Liv ~ Hermione ~ Wilhelmina~ Rowena

What about Shepherd Alastair?

Shepherd is both outdoorsy and could be a reference to Shepherd Book (if you like Firefly).
    Alastair is classy, and a nod to Alastair Reynolds if you like his science fiction.

Another idea I have is Gaias Cormac.
    Gaias for Battlestar Galactica.
    Cormac for Cormac McCarthy.

Sorry. I'm not exactly sure what writers, video games, nerdy stuff you guys like.

Oh, and I also think Caspian would be a good first name. It's nature (reference to the Caspian Sea) and nerdy cool because of Chronicles of Narnia.

Hey! How about Odin? He is the Norse God of the Arts. Has a Dresden sort of sound.

Welcome to Nameberry, avenrii! I love your description of yourselves as a couple...you sound just like me and my husband! Well, except that my husband's name taste is more practical than mine, so between the two of us he is the more "traditional."

I knew Dresden was a Jim Butcher reference as soon as I saw it I think the name is great, we've considered it ourselves. He's such an amazing character!

Mythology, literature, history...rich backgrounds and strong meanings...no traditional names. Got it. Here goes!
    Atlas - I always associate this name with exploring and grand adventures. The myth of the Titan who carries the world.
    Teague - Irish meaning bard or poet
    Emrys - a variant of Ambrose, meaning "immortal"...also rumored to be Merlin's real name.
    Sammael - my favorite alternative to Samuel. Translated both as "poison of God" and "medicine of God" which I find fascinating as a student of herbal medicine. He's also the bad guy in the Wheel of Time series though.
    Taliesin - "radiant brow", a bard who is featured in Arthurian legend and The Mabinogion...believed to be the first Druid
    Magnus - obviously, this means "great" in Latin. But a little nerd-trivia: Magnus is the middle name of Erik Lensherr, X-Men's Magneto.
    Constantine - "constant, steadfast". Of course there are the various emperors...but the real draw of this name (at least for me) is the badass comic series (turned Keanu movie)
    Bernard - If you ARE a Jim Butcher fan, you will know that Bernard is awesome. And his name means "bear-hardy" aka "brave as a bear"
    Phineas - Hebrew for "oracle", the Anthony Trollope novel
    Bram - Eragon (well, Brom anyway) and Stoker. Meaning is disputed...there's the "father of a multitude" bit in Hebrew when Bram is short for Abraham (another uncommon literary/historical/Biblical favorite), "thicket of wild gorse" in Dutch, and "raven" in Gaelic
    Jasper - Persian for "bringer of treasure", a beautiful stone used for healing and protection, and considerable literary references (Sir Walter Scott, James Fenimore Cooper, Thomas Hardy, etc)
    Melchior - means "city of kings", a personal guilty pleasure. One of the magi.
    Sebastian - one of my all-time favorite names ever. Twelfth Night, the Tempest, Bastian from The Never-Ending Story, Baz Luhrmann director of Moulin Rouge, Bastion the indie game with the best soundtrack ever, and of course the ultra-sexy demon butler from Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler...if you're into anime/manga).
    Tristan - Legends of the Fall, Le Morte d'Arthur, Tristan and Isolde
    Tiberius - "of the Tiber river", a Roman emperor, Captain Kirk, and two Harry Potter characters
    Lucius - "light" found in everything from Shakespeare to Batman
    Cael - Irish meaning "slender", a zodiac angel and a mythological Irish warrior
    Orion - the mythological hunter and the vivid, easily recognizable constellation...also the middle name of Sirius Black
    Verne - "place of alders", the famous science fiction author
    Eddard - "rich in blessings/guard or protector" obvious Game of Thrones reference, but it can also be a reference to all the fabulous Edwards in literature and history, as Edward is probably too common for you
    Malachi - prophet whose name means "my angel" or "messenger of God"...love the potential nickname Kai which is Hawaiian for "sea" and a main character in several fantasy novels and anime series

My own personal nerd-isms, that may or may not be helpful:
    Caspian, Tumnus, Aslan, Edmund, Rillian, Shasta, Cornelius, Drinian, Fledge, Glenstorm, Tirian, Digory, Kirke, Ramandu, Corin, Rhince, Silenus, Trumpkin--Narnia
    Bernard, Tavi/Octavian, Valerian (Araris), Gaius, Fidelias (Valiar Marcus), Maximus (Antillar), Aldrick, Crassus, Demos, Doroga, Ehren --Codex Alera, Jim Butcher
    Auron, Balthier, Cloud, Locke, Seifer, Leon, Tidus, Vaan, Vincent (Valentine), Zack, Zidane, Sora, Riku, Ventus (another Dresden Files reference...ventas servitas anyone?), Ansem--Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts
    Kenshin (Rurouni, Himura), Sano, Saito, Ryu, Ichigo, Alphonse, Syaoran, Ashitaka, Light, Vash, Lupin, Goku, Ciel--various anime
    Eli, Rush, Adama, Galen, Felix, Anders, Malcolm, Simon, Jayne, Book, Firefly, Corbin, Solo, Kirk, Jean-Luc, Fox, Neo, Dominic, Riddick, Emmett (Brown), Nemo, Castiel, Theron, Roland, Morpheus, Firenze, Frodo, Aragorn (Strider), Sparrow, Thorin, Peregrine/Pippin, Theoden, Kvothe, Bast, Caliban, Nico, Kelsier, Locke, Xander--various sci-fi/fantasy

sorry...I got a little carried away >_>
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Endymion _____ nn Ender ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River _____

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu

I am totally in love with Wren Carys! In fact, when I went into labor with my daughter, we still hadn't chosen between Carys and Nora. We ultimately decided on Nora because it just "fit," but we still adore Carys. Wren is just gorgeous with it. I'm surprised this is your first time sharing as you have such wonderful taste!

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'll be able to help, but here goes (suggested nicknames in parentheses)...
    Lyle
    Vance
    Rafe
    Milo
    Phoenix
    Lorcan
    Leland
    Drake
    Draco (Drake)
    Dexter (Dex)
    Linus
    Amos
    Rhys
    Levi
    Thaddeus (Thad)
    Reef
    Zed
    Zane
    Moss
    Basil
    Vaughn
    Gideon
    Pierce
    Achilles (Ach)
    Cornelius (Neil)
    Atticus
    August (Auggie or Gus)
    Lionel (Lio)
    Archer (Archie)
    Alfie
    Crispin
    Penn
    Cyrus
    Quinn
    Noble
    Clive
    Jude
    Tudor
    Severus
    Neo
    Remus
    Phineas
    Roman
    Harvey
    Tavish (Tav or Tavi)
    Arlo
    Grey
    Caspian
    Bartholomew (Bart)
    Magnus
    Talon
    Rennex (Rex)
    Reed
    Tobin
    Rune
    Denton
    Wiley
    Roscoe
    Cormac
    Mom to Nora Cathleen.

Current favorites:
    Declan (Decs/Dex). Miles (Milo). Dean. Euan. Ronan. Dexter (Dex). John (Johnny). Max. Finn. Reid.

Gwyneth (Gwen). Elise. Bronwen (Bonnie). Mary. Piper. Josephine (Josie). Iris. Margot. Sylvie. Edith (Edie).