Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Hmm. I had never seen that before. I think of Jemima Kirke or Jemima Puddleduck when I hear the name. Would the majority of people in the states find it offensive to meet a Jemima from elsewhere? Or to hear the name as just a name (meaning, not being used as a derogatory term)?

Quote Originally Posted by mge28 View Post
    How is Jemima a derogatory term for black people? When I think of it, I think of the kids in the movie "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" named Jeremy and Jemima.
    Yup. That too. I think of blonde children, if anything.

I am pretty easy-going and almost terminally hip, and I highly disapprove of the name Lucifer. I think Pandora might be usable (and might not) -- in a different family used for different reasons. This father sounds me to like an Angry Atheist who is using his children in his battle with -- whatever -- to make some pointless point about all cultures having stories. Well no kidding. But so what? Ugh. Poor kids. They are not pawn in his war with the world. (As far as religion goes, I am a "none" myself -- but not angry at anyone.)

I hope they grow up to change their names and move on.

I am sorry about Jemima. It is beautiful. It is complex lesser Biblical, like Abigail. Jemima was a daughter of Job, which is not without irony as African Americans are the daughters of a man whose faith has been tested by trials indeed. It means 'dove,' and it popular with the British upper crust. I hope we can redeem this name someday, but some in America do find it offensive. In a way that makes me want to reclaim it even more -- it makes me think -- we should not let the haters steal one more lovely thing from us -- they have stolen enough.

But that is just me. I do cringe every time I walk down the pancake aisle.

Quote Originally Posted by mge28 View Post
    How is Jemima a derogatory term for black people? When I think of it, I think of the kids in the movie "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" named Jeremy and Jemima.
    Calling a black person an "Aunt Jemima" or an "Uncle Tom" (sometimes followed directly by the N-word) is derogatory because it's related to slavery. The "Aunt Jemimas" and "Uncle Toms" were the slaves who "worked in the house" and were considered "family" to the slave owners and insinuates that the slave "acted white enough" to be acceptable. I'm probably not explaining it well enough.

ETA - Here is a quote from the Wikipedia page about Uncle Tom:

"The phrase "Uncle Tom" has also become an epithet for a person who is slavish and excessively subservient to perceived authority figures, particularly a black person who behaves in a subservient manner to white people; or any person perceived to be a participant in the oppression of their own group."

Aunt Jemima is the female equivalent of Uncle Tom.
    Last edited by scarlettsmom; March 4th, 2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: add more info

That clears things up for me. I guess I do wonder why Jemima is stuck with the label while Tom is not? Maybe Tom is viewed negatively in the states as well, but here (Canada) it's just a nickname for Thomas. I hope with time Jemima is able to be revived. I have a feeling that it would go over many of the younger generation's heads even now.