Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nat108 View Post
    I figured he was a Satanist based on those name combos and his quick defense
    To me, those names scream "using my child to prove a point" just as naming your kid Eleazar Gennesaret does.
    That was my reaction too. Poor kid!

I'm surprised and saddened to hear that Jemima makes the list of forbidden names. I'm in Canada and I had no idea! My only hesitation with the name was the pancake syrup. I don't think that anyone in my generation would find it offensive but I'm going to ask some of my older relatives for their opinion. I'm not ready to give up on that one yet! We are a family of colour so on one hand, I could probably get away with it but, on another, maybe it would bring the pancake syrup to mind even more.

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowfinch View Post
    stripedsocks: I don't think most Christians (or any, if I'm reading titus245 correctly) would be offended by using Emmanuel or Jesús. They might not use those names themselves, but there really is no reason to be offended. The difference between Emmanuel and Michael is that in the Christian tradition, Emmanuel is a name for God. Then again, I believe Joshua, Hosea, and Josiah are all names that come from the same root as Jesus. Personally, Emmanuel is actually my favorite name for God and I think using it as a middle name is a beautiful idea. As you said, it is used by many cultures (see Manuel or Immanuel (Kant!)) and it has a beautiful meaning. I come from the American Protestant tradition and we don't use names for God as our children's names often, but it's not like there's a rule against it. Just culturally, we don't.
    Maybe "offended" is the wrong word. I'm not easily offended. ;o) It does bother me, though. If I had a friend of similar doctrinal persuasions as myself who was thinking of using the name, I'd explain why I think it is inappropriate and try to talk them out of it.

THIS is Aunt Jemima. She's very closely related to the "mammy" archetype as well. Just to settle the question of why she's not more popular in the US.
    Attached Images

How is Jemima a derogatory term for black people? When I think of it, I think of the kids in the movie "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" named Jeremy and Jemima.
    Madison, 14-year-old name nerd! My style is all over the place, my favorites change all the time.

Boys: David, Eric, Finlay, George, James, Jude, Lee, Michael, Paul, Richard, Rory.

Girls: Emmanuelle, Frederica, Jayne, Juliet, Lauren, Mary, Molly, Nora, Raffaela, Stella.