Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Parents of babies with "forbidden" names, have you had any bad experiences?

The forbidden name got me thinking, as much as we talk about controversial names we never really here from people who have used them. So I'm wondering if anyone out there has a little Cohen, Jemima (in the states), Lucifer, Jezebel, etc...have you encountered any negative or awkward feedback? Have you used a name only to find out later it had a negative connotation? If so how did you handle it?

Berries in general have you met a little Cohen or Jemima? What were your thoughts and reaction?
    Josephine Athénaïs - Josephine Ivy - Myriam Athénaïs - Vivienne Josephine
    Athena Beatrice - Beatrice Cecile - Eléonor Anne-Sophie -Myriam Beatrice - Meredith Elizabeth
    Ambrose Aristide - Ulysses Aristide

Girls: Aenor, Bérangère, Bérénice, Catalina, Honorine, Nadezhda Boys: Augustin, Calixte, Emeric, Hugo, Lambert, Maxandre, Maxence, Yves

~~Formerly know on the boards as The.TX.Belle~~

I'm in Australia and wondering why the names Cohen and Jemima would be so controversial in America?
    TTC #1

Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Jane - Margaret - Susannah - Violet

August - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Quote Originally Posted by sarahmezz View Post
    I'm in Australia and wondering why the names Cohen and Jemima would be so controversial in America?
    Jemima stems from black face minstral shows and is a derogatory term for blacks which is why it's offensive. It's also a brand of syrup which has a "mammy" type character on the bottles. Cohen is a sacred title for Jewish people and is not a name, it's considered disrespectful by quite a few people.
    Josephine Athénaïs - Josephine Ivy - Myriam Athénaïs - Vivienne Josephine
    Athena Beatrice - Beatrice Cecile - Eléonor Anne-Sophie -Myriam Beatrice - Meredith Elizabeth
    Ambrose Aristide - Ulysses Aristide

Girls: Aenor, Bérangère, Bérénice, Catalina, Honorine, Nadezhda Boys: Augustin, Calixte, Emeric, Hugo, Lambert, Maxandre, Maxence, Yves

~~Formerly know on the boards as The.TX.Belle~~

Other than personally people I know.. I wouldn't use Delilah (though it sounds cute) because she is a prostitute in the Bible. I wouldn't want to put that on a child even if it "shouldn't" matter..

One of my very good friends has a son named Lucifer Alastair and a daughter named Pandora Lilith. Their newest is Thanatos (not sure of the middle name). He honestly hasn't had near the bad reactions one would think he would get. Most people sort of give him this look O_o And go "Lucifer?" And he says "Yes. It means light bringer and has never been connected to the Devil according to modern theologists." And most people just shrug and say "Well it does have a nice sound" and then they usually gush about how he's such a handsome child. He's blond haired and blue eyed so I guess he fits the "one of the most beautiful angels" images. Lucifer absolutely refuses to go by anything other than Lucifer, but some of his friends call him Luc (like loose) and his mom calls him Lucy sometimes.

As for Thanatos and Pandora, for Thanatos, most people don't know that his name has a dark connection, but a good number of people know the awkward and sort of dark history of Pandora. He mostly gets asked "Well, why name her after someone who put evil in the world?" And his response tends to be "Well, why would anyone name their daughter Eve by that logic?" And most people don't want to argue with him about it. When they do, he usually says something like "They're both stories, so your argument makes no sense." But, he doesn't honestly get a lot of flack for it. Her mom calls her Panda but he won't call her by a nickname.

Those are really the only 'forbidden' names I've met IRL. Big ones IMO. I've met Delilah's and so on, but I don't think most people think about that one.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014