Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Year of the Snake names?

I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of usable names that mean "snake" or "serpent"? It is the Year of the Water Snake, and I am pondering possible middle names that would reflect this. Preferably the name would have a positive meaning or association with the snake, and not something reflecting negative qualities. Options need to be usable, but can be a bit daring since it would be in the middle name spot. It's just an idea I am toying with. Most likely I will be using the mn to honor someone, but I am interested in exploring other names as well.

Thanks!
    Last edited by sdsurfmama; March 28th, 2013 at 02:33 AM.
    Mama to
    Desmond Sanders, born 7/2013
    and dog son, Lambeau

*Drake or *Draco - dragon/serpent, the constellation
    *Kundalini - serpent energy coiled at the base of the spine
    Naga - Indian serpent there's also Nagaina, but she's a villainess in Rikki Tikki Tavi
    Ourobouro - the snake who eats its tail, a symbol of infinity
    Shesha - a serpent in Hindu mythology
    Aidophedo - a West African demigod (an ourobouro)
    Wadjet - an Egyptian diety who takes the form of a cobra (her earlier incarnation was Renenutet)
    Serpens - another constellation of a snake tamed by Ophiuchus, the healer (also a potential snake name, as he is associated with the caduceus)
    Mucalinda - a serpent who protected the Buddha from a storm by coiling around him for seven days so as not to break him out of his enlightened state
    Atum - "he who completes and perfects". the "counter-Ra" in Egyptian mythology, whose earlier incarnation, Nehebkau ("he who harnesses the souls") was the serpentine guardian of the door to the underworld
    *Basil or Basilisk - a serpentine creature with Medusa-like powers. T'kaa the basilisk is one of my favorite characters in Tamora Pierce's stories
    *Ophion - a serpent in archaic Greek myths who ruled the world with Eurynome (most other Greek serpents are hideous monsters, and thus not included in this list )
    *Adelina - German supposedly meaning "noble serpent" although usually just listed as "noble and sweet". Likewise, Belinda supposedly means "beautiful serpent" but is mostly listed as "beautiful"
    Chumana - Hopi name meaning "snake maidden." Chua is "snake" and Chusi "snake flower" (although the latter could sound like "choosey")
    Ormrarr - Old Norse meaning "serpent army"
    Pachua - supposedly this is Hopi for "feathered water snake"
    *Phineas - means "mouth of a serpent" in Hebrew
    *Tanith - Phoenician meaning "serpent lady"
    Apalala - Hindu mythological water dragon
    *Vasuki - a Naga king, also called Nilakanta
    Ryu - Japanese for dragon
    *Tiamat - Babylonian name meaning "mother of life", refers to a primeval sea dragon goddess, personification of Chaos and mother of the first gods

I've starred the ones I think are the most usable. Good luck, and congratulations on your unique inspiration, I love it!
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Juliet Snow ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River Seraphine ~ Elowen Briar

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu

In Greek mythology, Apollo, Hermes (Mercury) and Asclepius have associations with the serpent, and Cassandra of Troy was one of Apollo's temple priestesses. Also there was an earth dragon (Python, slain by Apollo) who lived at Delphi. Iris, the personification of the rainbow and the messenger of the gods, is sometimes depicted with a staff entertwined by two serpents (known as a caduceus, also carried by Hermes).

The Germanic element "lind" means serpent, so there's Rosalind, Ethelind, Belinda, Adelind, Amalind, Linda...
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysessha View Post
    *Drake or *Draco - dragon/serpent, the constellation
    *Kundalini - serpent energy coiled at the base of the spine
    Naga - Indian serpent there's also Nagaina, but she's a villainess in Rikki Tikki Tavi
    Ourobouro - the snake who eats its tail, a symbol of infinity
    Shesha - a serpent in Hindu mythology
    Aidophedo - a West African demigod (an ourobouro)
    Wadjet - an Egyptian diety who takes the form of a cobra (her earlier incarnation was Renenutet)
    Serpens - another constellation of a snake tamed by Ophiuchus, the healer (also a potential snake name, as he is associated with the caduceus)
    Mucalinda - a serpent who protected the Buddha from a storm by coiling around him for seven days so as not to break him out of his enlightened state
    Atum - "he who completes and perfects". the "counter-Ra" in Egyptian mythology, whose earlier incarnation, Nehebkau ("he who harnesses the souls") was the serpentine guardian of the door to the underworld
    *Basil or Basilisk - a serpentine creature with Medusa-like powers. T'kaa the basilisk is one of my favorite characters in Tamora Pierce's stories
    *Ophion - a serpent in archaic Greek myths who ruled the world with Eurynome (most other Greek serpents are hideous monsters, and thus not included in this list )
    *Adelina - German supposedly meaning "noble serpent" although usually just listed as "noble and sweet". Likewise, Belinda supposedly means "beautiful serpent" but is mostly listed as "beautiful"
    Chumana - Hopi name meaning "snake maidden." Chua is "snake" and Chusi "snake flower" (although the latter could sound like "choosey")
    Ormrarr - Old Norse meaning "serpent army"
    Pachua - supposedly this is Hopi for "feathered water snake"
    *Phineas - means "mouth of a serpent" in Hebrew
    *Tanith - Phoenician meaning "serpent lady"
    Apalala - Hindu mythological water dragon
    *Vasuki - a Naga king, also called Nilakanta
    Ryu - Japanese for dragon
    *Tiamat - Babylonian name meaning "mother of life", refers to a primeval sea dragon goddess, personification of Chaos and mother of the first gods

I've starred the ones I think are the most usable. Good luck, and congratulations on your unique inspiration, I love it!
    Thank you soooo much. This list is great. I love the idea of Drake or Draco. It's a name I would have most definitely used last year for the Dragon year. I noticed another berry named her son Drake, he was born last year. Naga is another great one, however, I think of Nagini from HP, and that makes it a rough one to use.

Ophion, Tanith, and Phineas could be real contenders if they fit with the right first name.

Thank you again. It's fun to read through them all.
    Mama to
    Desmond Sanders, born 7/2013
    and dog son, Lambeau