Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stripedsocks View Post
    You do know Immanuel/Emmanuel are used by Jews and have been continually traditionally used for thousands of years, right? It is no more saying your kid *IS* G-d than naming a kid Josiah ("G-d supports") or Jonathan ("gift of G-d") is.

For that matter I would see more ego in naming your kid Michael ("who is like G-d") than Emmanuel, which is a simple expression of faith akin to Eliora ("G-d is my light") and I don't really have a problem with naming kids Michael.

Its a family name for me. They go by Manny. I don't see the issue. It is a culturally relevant name. I don't know what the Christian stance on its use is, but we're not Christian...? I would find it far odder for us to use the name, say, Christopher, than Emmanuel?
    I actually wasn't aware that Jews used the name. I've seen lots of lists of Jewish/Hebrew names (I love Hebrew names), and it didn't stick in my mind. It's safe to assume that they would interpret the entire passage of Scripture surrounding the name Emmanuel differently than Christians do.

The definition of Michael actually needs a question mark: "Who is like God?" It is a statement of God's glorious majesty, not the child's. As a name given to a child, it is a statement of humility, not arrogance.

Being Reformed, I can't speak to all the Roman Catholic implications of the name Christopher (the story of St. Christopher is nowhere in the Bible), but since my husband wears the name, I can speak to how Protestants see it. Christopher carries the idea of belonging to or being a follower of Christ, bearing witness to Him.

Quote Originally Posted by jemama View Post
    For us, we chose Emmanuel as a middle name because of the meaning. Our son was born still at 21 weeks and this name fit with him, the situation and the mn theme we have going with our other children. We know our child is not God and never wanted to convey that, but this name is commonly.used all over the world and like I said, it fit our son and our very sad situation. Not trying to be catty, just sharing our experience.
    I am so sorry for your loss. I do understand that it has been used all over the world, and I didn't mean to be catty either. The New Testament draws the connection with that name and the incarnation--God in the Flesh--so that association is very strong for me. I can understand in your situation how you would have looked at it differently.

Quote Originally Posted by titus245mama View Post
    Being Reformed, I can't speak to all the Roman Catholic implications of the name Christopher (the story of St. Christopher is nowhere in the Bible), but since my husband wears the name, I can speak to how Protestants see it. Christopher carries the idea of belonging to or being a follower of Christ, bearing witness to Him.
    That makes sense. What I meant in my previous post, my own perspective, it would feel more odd for me (a non-Christian) to gloss over the significance of a relatively popular name like Christopher/Christine - to take them just because they are mainstream - than to use the admittedly relatively odd/obscure Emmanuel/Immanuel, which feels more accessible personally. But I didn't know it could give offense.

I would use Emmanuel but I would never use Christian. Does that make sense? Sorry if I seem a bit jumbled.

The idea that Emmanuel seems "too much" for Christians is new and interesting to me; I have known Christians (Roman Catholics mostly) by the name before. And there's one very famous Protestant - Immanuel (born Emanuel) Kant.

Quote Originally Posted by stripedsocks View Post
    That makes sense. What I meant in my previous post, my own perspective, it would feel more odd for me (a non-Christian) to gloss over the significance of a relatively popular name like Christopher/Christine - to take them just because they are mainstream - than to use the admittedly relatively odd/obscure Emmanuel/Immanuel, which feels more accessible personally. But I didn't know it could give offense.

I would use Emmanuel but I would never use Christian. Does that make sense? Sorry if I seem a bit jumbled.

The idea that Emmanuel seems "too much" for Christians is new and interesting to me; I have known Christians (Roman Catholics mostly) by the name before. And there's one very famous Protestant - Immanuel (born Emanuel) Kant.
    I get what you're saying. Totally makes sense.

I think Emmanuel is more acceptable to Roman Catholics, though I'm not exactly sure why. I've also heard a few Protestants use it, too. I may be in a minority in being uncomfortable with it, but I'm too much of a theology nut for it not to bother me, if that makes sense.

stripedsocks: I don't think most Christians (or any, if I'm reading titus245 correctly) would be offended by using Emmanuel or Jesús. They might not use those names themselves, but there really is no reason to be offended. The difference between Emmanuel and Michael is that in the Christian tradition, Emmanuel is a name for God. Then again, I believe Joshua, Hosea, and Josiah are all names that come from the same root as Jesus. Personally, Emmanuel is actually my favorite name for God and I think using it as a middle name is a beautiful idea. As you said, it is used by many cultures (see Manuel or Immanuel (Kant!)) and it has a beautiful meaning. I come from the American Protestant tradition and we don't use names for God as our children's names often, but it's not like there's a rule against it. Just culturally, we don't.
    Last edited by sparrowfinch; March 3rd, 2013 at 12:46 PM.
    Names I enjoy:

Girls: Lucy, Elena, Lake, Sylvie

Boys: Jack, Eamon, Sylvan, Theo

Photo by Corey Arnold