Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by theclocktowerofjoy View Post
    I am under impression they ignore the fact that parents and children didn't have any bad (outright) experience and are trying too hard to find new argument for bashing.

Like when they ignored when one kindergarten teacher said children in her class didn't blink an eye to each others names, and they were quite unusual. They continued to discuss imaginary "teasing potential" like they don't know how to read.
    There's no point making snarky comments about the other responders in this thread, veiled under the term "they". It's not like we're saying "OMG GISELLE WILL GET TEASED BECAUSE THE FIRST SYLLABLE SOUNDS LIKE JIZZ". Being concerned for a child named Lucifer is something that I'm sure most people would understand. Just because people haven't said its terrible to the parents face (and honestly, who would? That's pointless) doesn't mean people like it or even think it's okay. I'm not trying to "find" an argument for bashing. If you're going to say things implying the posters in this thread "don't know how to read" then you should just be upfront about it instead of being passive aggressive. It does nothing for the discussion.
    cassia | vivian | flora
    peregrine | jolyon | arthur

Quote Originally Posted by titus245mama View Post
    Yep. That kid's going to have issues.

As a Christian, it actually bothers me when I hear a kid named Emmanuel. It's the name of Jesus in one of the Old Testament prophecies, and means "God with Us". Sorry, your kid is not God. Ditto for naming your kid Jesus. If you're a Christian, wouldn't you know better? If not, why saddle your kid with a too-much-pressure name?
    You do know Immanuel/Emmanuel are used by Jews and have been continually traditionally used for thousands of years, right? It is no more saying your kid *IS* G-d than naming a kid Josiah ("G-d supports") or Jonathan ("gift of G-d") is.

For that matter I would see more ego in naming your kid Michael ("who is like G-d") than Emmanuel, which is a simple expression of faith akin to Eliora ("G-d is my light") and I don't really have a problem with naming kids Michael.

Its a family name for me. They go by Manny. I don't see the issue. It is a culturally relevant name. I don't know what the Christian stance on its use is, but we're not Christian...? I would find it far odder for us to use the name, say, Christopher, than Emmanuel?

I mean I can understand if Christians don't think of it the same way and that's cool. I would have thought names like Jesus or Joshua would be more off-limits but I don't pretend to have been brought up that way and understand it properly.

I was just saying why someone else might use it without thinking it's too much - I love Emmanuel/Immanuel for a boy and Immanuela for a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by titus245mama View Post
    Yep. That kid's going to have issues.

As a Christian, it actually bothers me when I hear a kid named Emmanuel. It's the name of Jesus in one of the Old Testament prophecies, and means "God with Us". Sorry, your kid is not God. Ditto for naming your kid Jesus. If you're a Christian, wouldn't you know better? If not, why saddle your kid with a too-much-pressure name?
    For us, we chose Emmanuel as a middle name because of the meaning. Our son was born still at 21 weeks and this name fit with him, the situation and the mn theme we have going with our other children. We know our child is not God and never wanted to convey that, but this name is commonly.used all over the world and like I said, it fit our son and our very sad situation. Not trying to be catty, just sharing our experience.

But back to the original topic, Lucifer is a horrible name to give a child no matter what you believe. Same goes with Adolf, even if you had a beloved great great grandfather with this same name, please choose a variation.
    Married to my love since August 2001
    --—————————————
    My lovely bunch of coconuts;
    Sebastian Elihu (7/02)
    Bronwen Eliza (2/04)
    Linus Ezra Graham (9/06)
    Violet Leona (1/09) and
    Wolfgang Levi (3/13)
    Always missing our Felix Emmanuel (10/10-10/10)

Pros of giving a child a "forbidden" name: Your kid will have a unique name with an interesting history, a name you probably like and agree with your spouse on. They (and by extension, you) will probably get a lot of attention. You'll even be able to make a (very loud) statement about your beliefs, interests, or aesthetic.

Cons of giving a child a "forbidden" name: You will offend people. Let me be more specific. Some people (possibly most people) upon being introduced to your child will experience the deep, gut-twisting, nauseated feeling associated with having a bandage ripped off a still-raw wound. And yes, that is how it feels as a Jew when I see a little Aryan boy named Cohen and hear his parents explain that they just liked the sound, thought it was cute, it's not like they're Jewish, or have any Jewish friends, or know any Jewish people at all--perish the thought! I can't speak for Black people when it comes to the names Sambo and Jemima, but I imagine someone who has been hurt by the associated stereotypes, and whose ancestors have been quite literally dehumanized by these representations, would have their own complicated feelings about them.

To be perfectly honest, I have a lot less sympathy when it comes to offending Christians. Jews and Black people have a long history of persecution in America and Europe. Christians don't (and before anyone brings up the persecution of Lutherans and Puritans and Catholics: bear in mind that whatever denomination they may have adhered to, at the end of the day the guys in charge were still Christian).

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Marlowe | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...