Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by maggiemary View Post
    I don't think "I'm not Jewish" is a good defense with regards to thinking it's OK to name a child Cohen.
    I honestly don't think most people know. That might sound ignorant to folks who live in areas with a significant Jewish community, but for those who do not, it's probably not something they've ever heard of. When I hear it, the first thing I think of is Sasha Cohen, the Olympic figure skater.

Good for you for explaining it to your friend!

Quote Originally Posted by titus245mama View Post
    I honestly don't think most people know. That might sound ignorant to folks who live in areas with a significant Jewish community, but for those who do not, it's probably not something they've ever heard of. When I hear it, the first thing I think of is Sasha Cohen, the Olympic figure skater.

Good for you for explaining it to your friend!
    I don't mean people who have used it and didn't know, I was referring to people who DO know the relevance of Cohen to the Jewish faith, but use it because "I'm not Jewish."

I was on Yahoo! Answers once, and someone asked about using the name Cohen, and the very first answer pointed out the cultural significance. Several parents who had used Cohen posted, saying they had known about it's meaning to the Jewish faith, but used it anyway as they weren't Jewish so it didn't bother them. I was shocked!

Should have been more clear what I meant.
    ♥ Margaret Mary ♥
    19. Name nerd. College sophomore. Identical twin.

~ Eliza Josephine ~ Esther Christabel ~ Harriet Aurelia ~ Mary Jessamine ~ Rose Georgina ~ Sarah Margaret ~
    ~ Asher Benedict ~ Gabriel Walter ~ John Constantine ~ Noah August ~ Reuben Alexander ~ Samuel Ernest ~

Quote Originally Posted by dantea View Post
    And also, to the person saying he picked them to be edgy and alternative, no. He picked them for his religious preferences and feel that if Christians can named their children biblical names and name them Emmanuel or whatever, and pagans can use Athena etc, then as a Luciferian Satanist, why shouldn't he be allowed to use the name Lucifer without people bothering him about it?
    I think the biggest problem with naming your child after your Luciferian Satanist belief is that most people don't know what your religion entails or believes. To many it just mean that you worship evil and destruction. This is clearly an ignorant and naive view of a alternative religion.... I'd find it interesting to read a study on how employers and schools and the like would react to an applicant by that name. Since this is something we discuss often on NB. I also would love to fast forward 20 years and hear how little Lucifer feels about his name then. (I'm sure you've all read my post saying I've been in love with the name since I was a child and before I knew why people didn't like it - I just won't be able to use it. 1)I'm not sure I'd be brave enough and 2) my SO comes from a traditional Irish Catholic family - just imagine. FYI: Emmanuel would also be out.)
    ...if my husbands has no vote, then....
    Endora & Lorelei / Dexter & Gideon
    ...we are newlyweds and not trying...yet...

And also, to the person saying he picked them to be edgy and alternative, no. He picked them for his religious preferences and feel that if Christians can named their children biblical names and name them Emmanuel or whatever, and pagans can use Athena etc, then as a Luciferian Satanist, why shouldn't he be allowed to use the name Lucifer without people bothering him about it?
    I figured he was a Satanist based on those name combos and his quick defense
    To me, those names scream "using my child to prove a point" just as naming your kid Eleazar Gennesaret does.

Fox * Shea * Jade * Azure * Eden * Greer * Arden
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Blaise * Linden

One of my very good friends has a son named Lucifer Alastair and a daughter named Pandora Lilith. Their newest is Thanatos (not sure of the middle name).
    How ridiculous. I despise it when people use their children's names to make a personal statement, and this is a prime example of that. These children were named for shock value.
    Last edited by southern.maple; March 2nd, 2013 at 11:52 AM.