Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Narnia name

Narnia name

I love C.S. Lewis and if I have a boy I would really like to name him Peter Caspian, however is it too childish to name a child after fictional characters, even though they represent such strong positive allegories?

Since the movies have come out, I think more people are now familiar with Narnia and it's names. So I don't think you'd be able to do it without getting that association from everyone. If that doesn't bother you though, then I would say go for it! It's not like Peter and Caspian aren't legitimate names on their own. As pp stated, you could always separate them and go with Caspian ______ and Peter ______.

Current loves:
    thomasina louise, percival hugh

. ∙ ˙ . ∙ ˙  ✶  . ∙ ˙ . ∙ ˙

♥  ❝Words have meaning and names have power.❞

I think it's a bit overkill to have both. It's great to allude to a beloved author with a name, but if you're using a name from Narnia on every kid or a first/middle both from the series, it gets to be a little much. That said, Peter and Caspian are names separate from the series, so I don't think it's horrible.

Yeah, it's a lot to do both. I was even hesitant to go for Edmund because it's so specific to that series. That said, Narnia are some of the most classic and magical books out there. Lev Grossman credits Lewis with inventing the idea of alternative worlds that you could go in and out of (CRAZY that we didn't really have that before, although traveling to other worlds had been invented) and he did it all with such charm, grace, imagination, and detail, not to mention wonderful characters. It's not like naming your kid after Katniss or something. I love the Hunger Games as much as the next person, but what I mean to say is that naming your children after something so wonderful that had such a profound influence on art and culture is not childish.
    Names I enjoy:

Girls: Lucy, Elena, Lake, Sylvie

Boys: Jack, Eamon, Sylvan, Theo

Photo by Corey Arnold

Either way you perceive it is a lovely combo, inspired by two great characters. If you love it, go for it.
    Ingrid | Kit | Susanna | Alistair