Names Searched Right Now:

I can't decide! Is Mercy right?

I posted a while back in the Writer's Corner about some naming doubts I'd been having with my characters. Since then, my main female character's name has really been bugging me. It's a big decision to rename a character after writing about her for so long, but her name just isn't her! Help!

Her name was first Hanna and my sister, while proof reading, told me her name was boring and she didn't think it was right to have such a common name that a lot of girls in my reader target will have. In THIS specific case, we didn't think it was good to have the reader put themselves in Hanna's place (tragic story).

Next I changed her name to Sunniva (Sunni for short and for 98% of the story). But when the other characters addressed her, it sounded almost humorous calling this tragic character Sunni.

Now what I'd like is an easy to spell two or three syllable name that is unique and definitely not something you hear everyday. It must have a short one syllable nickname even if that nickname isn't an obvious choice or a full name on it's own (ex. Lo for Loren).

I'm considering:
    Genevieve nn Eve - It's not very unique though. I'd like something that stands out more.
    Mercy nn Merc - front runner. BUT is Mercy too grim of a name or does it fit a tragic character TOO well?
    Rosaliese nn Ro/Rosie - I'm bored with Rosie. Rosaliese is perfect but will only be known as her full name once or twice.

I would love more suggestions!
    Last edited by eleminty; February 27th, 2013 at 07:14 AM.
    Due March 2015!

Favorite names to come.

How about:
    Phoebe - Phee
    Megan - Meg
    Annabelle - Belle
    Kathryn - Kath / Kate
    Evangeline - Eve / Leen
    Evelyn - Ev / Lyn
    Ruby - Roo
    Alexa - Lex
    Imogen - Im / Gen
    Gwendolyn - Gwen

I think Mercy is cool, but Merc reminds me of Mercedes.
    ~ 21 year-old name lover ~

Call me Cynthia, Angie, or Luna. 22. Name nerd.

Clemency | Clementine | Juliette | Helena | Isabelle | Annabelle | Evangeline | Seraphina | Rosalind | Violetta
    Vanessa | Audrey | Ariadne | Callista | Belphoebe | Bellatrix | Lyra | Valencia | Valentina | Laetitia | Cytherea
    Gavriel | Hermes | Flynn | James | Orion | Alexander | Caspian | Peregrine | Marius | Altair | Lucias
    Callum | Cadmus | Jason | Perseus | Theseus | Oliver | Éomund | Stellan | Amias

It's hard to tell if Mercy fits (or fits "too well") without reading the book, but I know what you mean. If you are more interested in telling an exciting tale, and weaving plots, I think Mercy fits fine. If the story is more subtle, and has richer character development, it might be better to keep looking. Virtue names are not known for subtle messages But you know the character best!

Here are some names of all different styles that fit what you asked for, I hope:
    Bethel
    Briony
    Celine
    Lotus
    Maren
    Marina
    Mira
    Melora
    Suzette
    Talia
    Taryn