Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is Aries too childish for a man? What would be better?

I am really progressing on a young adult fiction/fantasy novel, all my bases are covered and I'm half way done, and this is the only name I haven't updated. He is a male witch (still trying to figure out if I should call him a witch, or wizard, or sorcerer..) and I recently wondered if the name was too childish for a twenty-something. He is tall, lean, with blonde hair and iolite-blue eyes. He keeps his hair in a ponytail, and he wears a little star earring on one ear (those old four-point diamond looking ones). Also, he is mysterious, gorgeous, kind and helpful. He had a hard childhood, and all he wants is a family.

My only only thought is Archer. The name should be general, as in easily translated and not tied to any specific culture, or the Bible, since it's not this world.

Can anyone give me their thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
    http://www.onceuponatimebabynames.com/
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9772380 (please vote!)

Due December 13, 2014 (12/13/14) It's a boy!
    Zorina, Faustine, Castalia, Vasilisa, Indrina, Calluna, Anaxandra, Hildana, Selenia, Lisandra, Satyana
    ... Alaric, Silvan, Alistair, Stellan, Rainer, Evander or Evren, Caspian, Soren, Theron, Sander, Sven

Would you rather invent a name? Any name we suggest will be tied to a human, earthly culture or language. In general, for ideal hero-characters such as the one you describe, names with long vowels and a liquid sound convey the sort of imagery you want.

Rillan
    Alanno
    Lyran
    Marlo
    Tyllan
    Nali
    Tillomark

etc...
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

I've thought about inventing a name, but I've already done that for the fictional country he lives in, and the other characters don't have invented names. I chose Aries because of it's imagery (strong, independent, adventurous), and because the astrological signs are used in several cultures, not just one. I thought of Archer because so many cultures have had archery.
    http://www.onceuponatimebabynames.com/
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9772380 (please vote!)

Due December 13, 2014 (12/13/14) It's a boy!
    Zorina, Faustine, Castalia, Vasilisa, Indrina, Calluna, Anaxandra, Hildana, Selenia, Lisandra, Satyana
    ... Alaric, Silvan, Alistair, Stellan, Rainer, Evander or Evren, Caspian, Soren, Theron, Sander, Sven

Watch an episode of Xena I can't think of Aries as childish because of it, lol.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I like Aries. It's very solid-sounding, and I don't think it's childish at all. I like Archer too, but I don't think you need to be worried about Aries.
    Hi there. My pen name is Diana (or akky, whichever you prefer).
    I'm here to find names for characters, not babies, though I do love working with kids.
    "Sometimes all you get is twenty pages, but you've got to make the best of it"--my mother
    If you need help with fantasy names, I'm your gal!
    Current WiPs: *Sometimes Falling Stars*