Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hispanic/Mexican Girls

Sooo I posted a similar topic over on the boys' side, but now it's time for the gals!

My husband spent a few years living in Mexico and speaks Spanish fluently. Although we are both Caucasian-American, we'd love to chose a Mexican name (either first or middle) to honor that part of our adopted culture. We are planning on living mostly in the US, but there is a good chance we'll spend at least some time in Mexico.

Here is what we have right now (in no particular order):

Florentina
    Marisol
    Xochitl (He LOVES it, but I don't know if I'd be up for it as a first name)
    Araceli
    Elena
    Esperanza
    Gabriela
    Graciela
    Jacinta
    Magdalena
    Paloma
    Valentina
    Lola

Comments? Suggestions? Please let me know what you think!

A Spanish name?

I'd avoid Xochitl because it will have countless pronunciation problems. I think Elena, Gabriela, and Graciela are the prettiest.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

I responded to your posting about boys' names. My husband is a native Spanish speaker but he's not from Mexico, so I'm not sure of the current use of these names there.

Florentina - I have never heard of this form. Florencia is a pretty common name in Argentina, where my husband is from, but it is a bit dated. Most women who have that name there are in their 30s and 40s now. I don't particularly care for Florentina, I have to say, and I usually like long elaborate Spanish names for girls like Candelaria.
    Marisol - This is pretty, and I think it would work well in the US.
    Xochitl (He LOVES it, but I don't know if I'd be up for it as a first name) This name, of Aztec origin, whose undoubtedly cause pronunciation problems in the US anywhere there isn't a sizable Mexican population. Folks in South America wouldn't know how to pronounce it either.
    Araceli - I think this is a great option. Pretty, different, but easy for English speakers to say and pronounced the same in Spanish.
    Esperanza, Magdalena, Paloma, Valentina: these are all also good bilingual options I think, also with the same pronunciation in both languages which is always a plus for me.
    Graciela - This is a very dated name in Argentina, found only among women in their 50s -70s, but perhaps the perception in Mexico is different. I can see it working as a good bilingual/bicultural name as it is basically a combination of Grace and Ella.
    Jacinta - I love this name but my husband vetoed it as it sounded like an old lady to him. You'd have to decide if you would flip-flop between the two pronunciations or not.
    Elena and Gabriela are classic and international. Lola is a great nickname, but I would want to use it as a short form for something else.

I adore Esperanza! It's long, frilly, and feminine with a little spunk to it. I also think Paloma sounds so elegant and graceful.
    Mother to William Joseph with baby Iris Corinne due at the end of March

My favourites are Marisol, Elena, Esperanza, Paloma, and Valentina. I think Elena would work best in the US, though.
    Alice. Marian. Juno. Branwen. Helena. Polly. Ophelia. Rosalind. Cosima. Matilda. Edith. Anna. Claudia. Frances.
    Arthur. Henry. Caspian. Stanley. Justice. Dexter. Edmund. Thomas. Nathaniel. Forest. Oscar. Lucian. Peter.

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9782360
    http://listography.com/sapphires