Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Have you heard this name?

I've been looking through family heritage names for inspiration and came across what I think is a lovely gem that is not currently in the database. What I love about this name is how it fits in with recent naming trends and also has THREE...yes...THREE adorable nicknames. Ready for it...

SOPHRIANA.

Nicknames:
    Sophie, Annie, Ana, (and even Rhianna?)

What do you think? To me it falls nicely in the the Greek revival category along with Sophia, Penelope, Phoebe, Chloe, Zoe crowd. I don't think it is actually a Greek name. Not sure of its origins at all beyond that is was used by my family for several generations in the early 1800s.

Hmm. It's intriguing. I've come across Sophronia and Sophiana/Sofiana before, but never Sophriana. I think I prefer Sophronia or Sophia/Sofia, but it is quite nice, and I agree it would fit in with modern trends.

I've never heard it, but it sounds lovely.
    | Arabella Monet | Henrietta Plum | Isolde Noor | Agatha Ruby | Marian Primrose |
    | Emma Berlin | Cressida Lilac | Jessamine Lark | Vivienne Snow | Ireland Eve |

I've seen it before on some random website years ago, but I've never heard it on an actual person (or anywhere else besides that one website). I'm not a fan of the name. I mean, I don't hate it, but it's not something I'd ever consider using. To me, it sounds like someone is saying 'So free Ana.' I tend to not like names that sound like sentenses, and I just dont' like the sound of it.
    Ian Alexander Cameron Blaise Damien Cole Axel Sean Callum Bryce Lennox Beau
    Blair Annevieve Camryn Atalya Piper Caydence Tallulah Sage Senna Kai Haven Lux

I agree with the pp, it sounds more like a sentence than a name. Sophronia and Sophie-Anna are much more to my liking, and seem more legit. Since it's an 1800s name my best guess would be it's a misspelling of one of the two. If you look through the SSA charts there were lots of variant spellings back then on unusual names.
    http://www.onceuponatimebabynames.com/
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9772380 (please vote!)

Due December 13, 2014 (12/13/14)
    Nelleke, Alianora, Castalia, Vasilisa, Indrina, Jilliana, Violetta, Ottilia, Olympia
    ... Alaric, Macsen, Jove, Hawthorn, Stellan, Rainier, Hemlock, Cillian, Casper