Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Antonia

Antonia

While I was in college we read Willa Cather's novella "My Antonia". I have fallen in love with the name, but the only problem is that it is the pronunciation. My teacher explained the pronounciation as "anton-ia" rather than "an-toe-nia". I can't recall where she said the pronunciation is from.

Does anybody have more history on the name. Which pronunciation do you prefer?
    The Future Littles:
    Delaney Lynne, Mallory June, Bridget Victoria, Rachel MarloweBrandon Erich, Daniel Kent, Nolan ____

An-toe-nia.

An-toe-nia. I like Antonia a lot. It sounds princess-y and spunky at the same time.
    I'm a young writer who's obsessed with baby names!!!!!!!!
    Favorite names coming soon...
    Elrock13

Antonia comes from the women of the old Roman family of Antonius. It means "priceless" or "praiseworthy". I believe your teacher pronounces it like the Willa Catha novel with the stress on the first syllable. "An-TOE-nee-uh" is the Spanish way to pronounce the name (a la Antonio Banderas) which I think is more prevalent in North America with the stress on the second syllable. It's really a question of preference and I prefer the Spanish version.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Within "My Ántonia," the titular character hails from Bohemia (modern day Czech Republic). Her siblings, Marek, Yulka (a pet form of Julia --- the letter J is said like Y), and Ambrosch are also Czech names. (The pronunciation that your teacher say it (anton-ee-a), is the Czech way).

I like this name, but I am more familiar with the Italian/Spanish pronunciation (ahn-TO-nyah), but I really like this one as well. However, I think it will be a struggle to overcome "an-TOE-nia." This is sad the reason that I scrap the name from my list and have swapped it out with Antonella. It is a really lovely name though.
    Last edited by teacherma; February 22nd, 2013 at 12:32 PM.
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico, Gianfranco, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa, Valerio
    Katarina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Romana, Alba, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirellina, Arianell, Sonia, Talia, Cordelia, Leona/Leonie