Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Antonia

Antonia

While I was in college we read Willa Cather's novella "My Antonia". I have fallen in love with the name, but the only problem is that it is the pronunciation. My teacher explained the pronounciation as "anton-ia" rather than "an-toe-nia". I can't recall where she said the pronunciation is from.

Does anybody have more history on the name. Which pronunciation do you prefer?
    The Future Littles:
    Delaney Lynne, Mallory June, Bridget Victoria, Rachel MarloweBrandon Erich, Daniel Kent, Nolan ____

An-toe-nia.

An-toe-nia. I like Antonia a lot. It sounds princess-y and spunky at the same time.
    I'm a young writer who's obsessed with baby names!!!!!!!!
    Favorite names coming soon...
    Elrock13

Antonia comes from the women of the old Roman family of Antonius. It means "priceless" or "praiseworthy". I believe your teacher pronounces it like the Willa Catha novel with the stress on the first syllable. "An-TOE-nee-uh" is the Spanish way to pronounce the name (a la Antonio Banderas) which I think is more prevalent in North America with the stress on the second syllable. It's really a question of preference and I prefer the Spanish version.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Within "My Ántonia," the titular character hails from Bohemia (modern day Czech Republic). Her siblings, Marek, Yulka (a pet form of Julia --- the letter J is said like Y), and Ambrosch are also Czech names. (The pronunciation that your teacher say it (anton-ee-a), is the Czech way).

I like this name, but I am more familiar with the Italian/Spanish pronunciation (ahn-TO-nyah), but I really like this one as well. However, I think it will be a struggle to overcome "an-TOE-nia." This is sad the reason that I scrap the name from my list and have swapped it out with Antonella. It is a really lovely name though.
    Last edited by teacherma; February 22nd, 2013 at 11:32 AM.
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosalind/Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Annunziata, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell