Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Meaning is important to me but not a complete deal breaker.
    Mama Bear to Serenity (gone January 17th, 2011) and Luther Wolf

My only exception is family names.
    Mama of two beautiful boys!

Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
    So are the children of one’s youth.
    Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them;
    ~Psalm 127:4-5a

Meanings are important to me. PP mentioned Mary. That is one I would make an exception for. Maybe Leah as well.

A name's meaning is really important to me--but choosing a meaningful name does not necessarily mean "dictionary definition". Namesakes--from history, literature, and family can all give positive meaning to a name that has a so-so or even undesirable definition.

I don't think I would ever use a name that had a meaning that I found to be "offensive", but there's a good chance that I would use a name that had a definition I didn't care for if it were associated with a person I hold in high respects.

Meanings of names have always seemed like kind of a gimmick to me. I have the same predicament with my name, which is a variation of a very old name which means "God is my Oath." or "Pledged to God." My family isn't religious at all, and my parents apparently didn't even look at the meaning when they chose it. I wouldn't do that, but I really don't think meanings are all that important. Besides, half of the meanings out there aren't even accurate, and the languages that they originated from aren't even spoken where the name is used. Unless it is the name of an important historical figure or celebrity (I do agree wholeheartedly with the earlier posts about true namesakes), the meaning of a child's name isn't very likely to influence their lives, maybe save for a couple of times at school when he/she and their friends decide to look up their names meanings just for fun.
    ~Izzy, looking for a new nickname
    Currently Loving: Romilly, Esme, Piper, Helia, Scout..Rhett, Colin, Rhys, Adrian, Jonah