Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

James, Sam, and Theodore... Thoughts?

My husband and I are struggling on agreeing on boys names. We have a daughter, Sofia, and are expecting our baby boy in June. I like strong names with nickname options. Here are some of the options:

James Christopher (the one we both agree on)- nn Jamsey
    Sam Christopher (I don't particularly like Samuel but we have a one-syllable last name so Sam may be too short)
    Theodore William (this is my favorite but my husband doesn't love it)- nn Teddy

And that's all we have! I adore Rafferty but he vetoed that. Please let me know your thoughts on the above names or if you have any suggestions, since we aren't tied to any of these options.

Thanks!

James Christopher gets my vote. I love James and it sounds great with Sofia. Sam Christopher would work, but I think prefer Sam as a nickname I think. If you don't like Samuel, maybe Samson? I love Sam though. I don't care for Theodore personally, but it's a nice enough name. I also adore Teddy.

Overall you can't go wrong with any of these names, but if you want some other ideas maybe:
    Andrew
    Nathan(iel)
    Vincent
    Patrick
    Peter
    Oliver
    Bennett
    Quentin
    Zachary
    Robert
    Louis
    Christian
    Henry

I actually really like your choices. Pretty much my favorite classics. Although I do like Samuel. Sam on its own feels a bit incomplete, but it's not a huge deal. For me though I would try to avoid my children having the same first letter with their names. Even if they're not that similar people rush and end up saying the wrong one....this happens to me and my mom even though she has a short Irish name and I have a long French one. It may not phase you and that's fine, and I obviously have a very personal association to alliteration, but I thought it was worth mentioning. I honestly like all three of your choices!

Other possibilities:
    Simon (although again with the S)
    Tobias/Tobin nn Toby
    Nathan
    Matthias
    Graham
    Switching careers and becoming an RN! Sadly mommy plans will have to wait until that's done. Still loving names though!

These are great options. Really, really great. I was thinking the other day that James is SUCH a great, smart, handsome, strong name with such a heritage and I barely know any. I was surprised to find that it's actually pretty high up the SSA list though. I think it's my favorite. I like Theodore, but I prefer Theo to Teddy, which I don't like at all.
    Names I enjoy:

Girls: Lucy, Elena, Lake, Sylvie

Boys: Jack, Eamon, Sylvan, Theo

Photo by Corey Arnold

My first thought was James, but Jamesy, in my honest opinion, is horrible. I think you should go with Jamie if you're looking to use a nickname. Sam is way too nicknamey, it doesn't have enough substance to stand on its own. I think Samuel nn Sam is great, but not with Sofia. Theodore has tons of nickname potential. Does your husband not like Teddy? Maybe he would warm up to Theo? Theodore nn Theo gets my vote.
    Mother to William Joseph with baby Iris Corinne due at the end of March