Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Annika?

Anneke is on my short list and I would think most people would know the correct pronounciation.

Congratulations!

Even with an estimated LMP of 1/25/13, it still is possible to get a positive pregnancy test this early. Let's say she ovulated on cycle day 12 (2/5/13), you can get a positive result as early as 7-8 days past ovulation/conception......which could have been as early as last week. The earliest I was ever able to get a positive pregnancy test was 9 days past ovulation, usually 12......which for her could have been 4 days ago. Anyway, when you are TTC and keeping track of charts, OPKs, etc, you most definitely know your dates and when you can start testing ;-) And yes, you are considered three weeks pregnant even if you only conceived a week ago -- the pregnancy "starts" (and due date determined) with the date of your last period as far as OBs are concerned. I will also add that being "one day late" means different things for different women. My luteal phases were generally 10-11 days long, so if I got to 12 days past ovulation, I was "one day late".......which may be "two days early" for a different woman with a different luteal phase length. The terms thrown around are often used under the assumption that follicular phases are 14 days long, and luteal phases are 14 days long, but we all know every body is different.

Back to your original question, I really love Annika. It was one we strongly considered. It is actually quite popular in my area (midwest USA), and every single Annika I know pronounces it "Ahn-ick-uh" -- I have never heard it pronounced any other way. That said, I have friends on both coasts and when I wrote the name to them, they assumed I was pronouncing it "Ann-ick-uh", which I don't think is nearly as pretty in my opinion. I think Ani (pronounced "Ahn-ee") is a sweet little nickname, too.
    Enjoy your pregnancy!
    Last edited by norskelove; February 21st, 2013 at 03:51 PM.

heaven help me...

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    An EDD of 11/1/13 means that your LMP was 1/25/13. Today is only 2/21/13-- exactly 27 days since your last period-- which is too early to test and too early to have missed your period.

Also "2 weeks pregnant" means that today is the literal actual day you conceived. The clock starts at 2 weeks, not 0.
    ... if I'm ever on your operating table.
    Name enthusiast since I could read. Expecting my first baby on November 1st!

Favorite Girls' Names: Annika, Amalie, Cecily, Cordelia, Esther, Felicity, Fiona, Iris, Lucinda, Miranda, Tessa

Favorite Boys' Names: Dean, Gideon, Jasper, Miles, Theodore.

Furry Babies: Elvis, Mercy, Una, Noah, Molly.

Thanks for the help (both kinds)!

Any thoughts on the Anneke spelling?
    Name enthusiast since I could read. Expecting my first baby on November 1st!

Favorite Girls' Names: Annika, Amalie, Cecily, Cordelia, Esther, Felicity, Fiona, Iris, Lucinda, Miranda, Tessa

Favorite Boys' Names: Dean, Gideon, Jasper, Miles, Theodore.

Furry Babies: Elvis, Mercy, Una, Noah, Molly.

Ahn-ih-kah is how I have heard it pronounced, and I love it!