Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: I pronounce Vera like...

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • VEER-uh

85 75.89%
  • VAIR-uh

25 22.32%
  • Other

2 1.79%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I think Vera is fabulous! I voted on the veer-ah pronunciation, but the more I say it, the more I think I should have voted "other" - it kind of sounds more like Vee-rah when I say it (which to my ear sounds different than veer-ah). I think I'm just weird.......lovely name, though.

Before I heard it in the wild, I assumed it was pronounced Vair-uh. I was thrilled to hear it pronounced out loud as Veer-uh, and I looove the way it sounds (it's on my short list). Vair-uh would be a no-go for us, as it rhymes with my name.
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

I guess I'd say both. I think it would depend on the situation and the other words in the sentence oddly enough. I like both, and they feel close enough to me that one wouldn't stick out as being completely wacky and wrong.
    Top Names: Benedict Calvin & Noelle Geneva
    Olivia/Livy : Darah/Bethel : Eve/Verity
    Eli/Solomon : Luke/Zane: Levi/Phineas
    Due in January!

I've know a couple of older woman named Vera. Both pronounce it "VEER-uh" which I believe is the English pronunciation. In Europe, it would probably be pronounced the other way (VAIR-uh).
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I pronounce it both ways depending on what first pops into my head when I see it. I would say 7/10 times I pronounce it vair-uh
    ♥Mckinley Mayfair, Christian Wayne & Sir Angus Fionn♥

Favorites June 2016
    Elizabeth, Adelaide, Juniper, Amelia, Arabella, Beatrice, Clara, Charlotte, Cordelia, Hermione
    the rest of the girls

William, Jasper, Edgar, Gilbert, Morgan, Henry, Sebastian, Arthur, Monroe, Basil
    the rest of the boys

Lyra Primrose, Amelia Hyacinth, Emmeline Bronte/ Magnus Frey, Julian Mackenzie, Sebastian Lake
    the rest of my combos