Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Isolde & Yseult?

Nameberry says Isolde is Welsh for "Ice Ruler", but Yseult is Irish for "Fair; Light-skinned". I thought Yseult was a variation of Isolde? If so, wouldn't they mean the same thing? Am I going crazy?
    | Arabella Monet | Henrietta Plum | Isolde Noor | Agatha Ruby | Marian Primrose |
    | Emma Berlin | Cressida Lilac | Jessamine Lark | Vivienne Snow | Ireland Eve |

Just on a preliminary sidenote, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the name Yseult (althought I slightly prefer the spelling Iseult) - and I too always thought that it was a form of Isolde? Actually, I just checked the Nameberry listings for Isolde and Yseult and it even says that Yseult is a variation...I'm confused now too. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

GIRLS: Carlotta Miriam BenedikteMarguerite Airlie SusannahElisabet Ruth Frederica

Car Baby Tuppence Zosia Mabel---------------------------------------------Recent Fancies: Hamish Idris February & Vivian Tamsin Blythe

Same name, different language, as far as I know. The name of the tale in French is Tristan et Iseult.

Nameberry is better than most baby name sites at name meanings but I still would not rely on it for accurate history and meanings. Check out Behind the Name dot com for that. It is the most accurate I know of.

Isolde and Yseult are different versions of the same name.
    Mrs. H.
    Trying for our first.
    Jack . Walker . David . Gabriel . Joe . Michael
    Clementine . Marina . Nadia . Vesper . Georgia . Emerald

It's gorgeous, so beautiful and evocative! They are the same name, Isolde has many variations:

Isolde - enslish
    Isolda - english
    Iseult - french
    Yseult - irish
    Eseld - cornish
    Esyllt -welsh
    Isotta - italian
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]