Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Searching for a Boy Name Fit for an Artsy/Geeky Couple

When we had our first child, a son, we knew he'd be Jack instantly. Unfortunately we didn't even have a backup name and now that we're expecting our 2nd son in 10 weeks my husband and I are stumped to come up with anything! My son's name is Jack Rigel. Rigel is the name of the brightest star in the constellation Orion- my husband is a high school Physics and Astronomy teacher We love theatre, particularly Shakespeare since we met performing together in a summer Shakespeare festival.

Names we have considered for both first and middle names: Malcolm, William, Anthony, Patrick, Finn, and Alexander, and Orion (to match Rigel). Any other thoughts for something with a little flair, but not super trendy? Also, since we knew that Jack was Jack before he was born, is there anything to the notion that sometimes you need to meet your baby and then give him a name? I've heard people say that's how they had to do it, so maybe that's how it will work the second time around for us!

Thank you!!
    Last edited by broadwaybaby; February 20th, 2013 at 10:02 PM.

Shakespearian:
    Duncan (Macbeth)
    Edgar (King Lear)
    Silvius (As You Like It)

Constellations:
    Altair
    Sirius
    Perseus

I also really like all of the names that you chose!

The first thing that came to mind was Romeo. Out of your considerations, I like William, Patrick, and Finn. As a middle name I'd suggest Alioth, it's the brightest star in Ursa Major or Altair, which is the 11th brightest star in the sky. Also, Atlas could make a really cool choice. Some Shakespearean names that seem useable are Cassio, Dion, and Balthazar.

Dion Alioth
    Cassio Altair
    Balthazar Atlas
    Romeo Altair

Hope this helps.
    Mother to William Joseph with baby Iris Corinne due at the end of March

Some celestial possibilities:
    Phoenix- a constellation and awesome mythological creature
    Leo
    Castor
    Cosimo
    Pan
    Kale
    Stellan
    Also, Sagan may be an interesting middle choice if you're a fan of Carl.

Literary names:
    Keats
    Auden
    Quill or Penn (maybe a bit literal)
    Beckett
    Eliot
    Tennyson

Names that I think sound good with Jack:
    Callum
    Archer
    Ray
    Declan
    Calix (science-y, when spelled Calyx)

The ones you have picked are all fine. If you are concerned about trendiness, William and Alexander are both going to be in the Top 20 in most states.

Bertram, Lysander, Antony, and Oberon might be good Shakespearean names. Playwrights like Marlowe, Sheridan, or Moliere might also be good middle names. Other good theater character names are Brick

There are a lot of good physicist names out there - Michael Faraday, Nikola Tesla, Pierre Curie, Niels Bohr.